Q. Is it fine to take Penicillin for having high ASO titer and generalized weakness in the body?

Dr. Vineet Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2021

I was feeling tired all the time before few months. I went to a doctor and he asked me to do a ASO titer test with a couple of other tests. The result was 407 IU/mL. So, he told me to take Penicillin for the next three months. After a month, I did another test and visited another doctor. My ASO titler level was high. Then after three months, I did the test again and the ASO titer level was 467 IU/mL. My question is whether I have to take Penicillin for the next 3 months or not. I am not willing to take tablets and the another doctor told me to stop taking it. Please suggest.

#

You can have fibromyalgia. It is a common post-infection, especially like Covid or post streptococcus infection. The high ASO (antistreptolysin O) titer level indicates that you are resistant to Penicillin or the levels do not correlate with your symptoms. You can do a CBC (complete blood count) and chest X-ray. It is possible for me to deduct that you still have symptoms of fatigue and body ache and you can switch to a different antibiotic. But if you are not having any symptoms, then you can stop taking Penicillin.

CBC, chest x ray, CRP

post viral infection

Tab Augmentin 625mg TBS for next 7 days

|