Q. I notice wetness at the tip of my penis after a while of intercourse. What could this be?

Dr. Vidya Muralidhar

I had intercourse with my girlfriend and it slipped. Also, my girl just started her menstrual cycle at about the same time. After about two weeks later, I noted slight wetness at the tip of my penis and had some irritation. I took Azithromycin three tablets. The irritation stopped, but slight wetness at the penis tip remained. It is very slight wetness at the tip, as during the day every few hours we go to urinate and is only on the tip. The wetness can mainly be seen in the morning when I get up after eight hours of sleep. I got blood tests and VRDL is negative. I seek your advice on medication and what could this be?

#

The wetness you are experiencing may not be an infection, it could be due to friction-related issue after intercourse causing some inflammation. As you have already run the tests and taken a course of antibiotics, there is not much to worry about. Observe the discharge for a week if it gets foul-smelling or you develop a fever or an itch over the area you may have to see the doctor.

In the mean time get a urine microscopy and routine test to rule out any urinary tract infection. Avoid nylon undergarments and use cotton ones instead. Use a condom always during intercourse and make sure you do not have an allergy to latex.

It does not seem to be due to any friction-related issue after intercourse. The antibiotics were taken about four weeks back and the penis tip still has a slight wet discharge. It is odorless, transparent and does not leave any marks. I seek your advice to know what could this be and what medications to follow? The fact that it was noted about two weeks after intercourse is of concern to me.

#

Good that you wrote back. As the discharge is persisting especially following intercourse, I would think of a yeast infection. I would suggest you give the sample for a culture test as well as ask your partner to do the same. Once you get the report, we need to begin relevant antibiotics. Both partners have to be treated simultaneously. Also, as I mentioned before kindly get a urine routine and microscopy tests done. You must seek a urologist opinion personally and get yourself examined.

|