How to cure ringworm?

Q. How to cure ringworm?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2023

I have ringworm in my thigh area for the last four months. It is itching very badly. What shall do to get it cured completely? My age is 42 and my weight is 180 pounds . I am currently on Terbinafine 250 mg, Candiforce 100 mg and Clocip powder. Please help.

#

Ringworm infection in the groin is known as tinea cruris. It is a recurrent fungal infection. Please let me know whether you have diabetes. Are you on steroids for any reason? Does any other family member have the same infection? Do you have intense pruritus or itching? The treatment for tinea cruris includes topical application of ointment Miconazole sparingly to avoid maceration twice daily for minimum two weeks about 2 cm beyond the borders of the affected area. You may use Candiderm powder (combination of Beclomethasone dipropionate, Clotrimazole and Gentamicin sulfate) in the morning if application of ointment is inconvenient. Also, oral antifungal tablet Fluconazole (Diflucan) 150 mg once a week for four weeks should help you. For itching, I suggest tablet Levocetirizine twice daily. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. For prevention, do not ever scratch the lesions as this may lead to superimposed secondary bacterial infection that further complicates the situation. Do not share your clothes. Wash your clothes and linen in hot water with antiseptic lotion or fungicidal soaps. Moist environment should be avoided that is refrain from wearing wet clothes, undergarments and socks. It will take minimum two weeks for the infection to regress. As already stated it is a recurrent infection and hence you need to strictly adhere to the advice elucidated above. I hope this helps. Thank you and take care. Regards.

I have no diabetes. I am not taking any steroid. My elder brother and wife has the same disease, but I am living alone. I feel intense pruritus. I have one more problem. I have a patch of vitiligo on my glans penis for almost 15 years. It is only in the particular area and did not spread. Can you suggest the best treatment to cure it completely?

#

With regard to the ringworm infection, yes, it is associated with intense pruritus. The corner stone for early recovery is not to scratch the lesion. You may apply ointment Benadryl for that purpose or follow the treatment as advised before. Except for the cosmetic problem with appearance, penile vitiligo is not dangerous. Because, penile function and its sensitivity are not affected. For your information, vitiligo is an autoimmune disease. Its management includes topical application of steroids like ointment Triamcinolone and immunomodulators like ointment Elidel (Pimecrolimus) or ointment Tacrolimus on the depigmented patches for immunosuppression. Also, PUVA (psoralen and ultraviolet A) and narrow band UVB laser therapy are recommended for repigmentation. All the above is a long term process and requires regular follow up with a dermatologist. At this juncture, I would advise you to follow the treatment and get rid of tinea cruris as the use of immunomodulators and steroids may exacerbate ringworm. Once your infection is cleared, then you may start the next course of therapy for penile vitiligo. Thank you and take care. Regards.

|