Q. Is vitiligo hereditary?

Dr. Dilip Meena
Published on Jul 03, 2019

I have a doubt regarding vitiligo condition. My father-in-law has vitiligo and he is 60 years old now. He has 2 sons and 1 daughter. Daughter is married and having two kids. None of the above have this condition. Is there any chance of getting vitiligo to his sons or to his grandchildren in future? To say simply, is vitiligo hereditary?

Dr. Dilip Meena

Dermatology Venereology
#

I understand that you are concerned. There is a definitive genetic component in vitiligo and if someone is affected by it, he is more likely to transmit it to his kids than a person who does not have it. There are 4 to 5 times more chances of getting vitiligo than general population without it, if one of the parent or sibling has one. So, if both parents and siblings do not have, then chances are less. I mean if only grandfather is involved and not the father, then chances reduce. Take care.

| 

Please advice whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a female, 29 years old, Height 5'6", weight around 54 kg. I am not undergoing any treatment but want to know that whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior or is it hereditary in anyway as my mother was not a totally mad person but required to undergo some treatm...  Read Full »

Please suggest some treatment for vitiligo.

Query: Hello doctor, I have vitiligo on my face, and my skin and hair are turning white. This is a major problem for me. Please suggest some treatment. What should I do?  Read Full »

How is vitiligo on lips treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has vitiligo on her lower lip. It came to our notice this year, and we consulted a doctor immediately. The doctor gave Dicaris 150 mg to be taken on the weekends of every week for four months. She finished 32 Dicaris tablets so far. She also used Melbild lotion at night and s...  Read Full »