Q. I quitted smoking when I had stomach issues. Will this help with stomach pain?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

I was dealing with stomach issues for about three to four months. My symptoms were uncomfortable stomach pain, and vomiting. I smoked maybe once a day for the past few months. I am on three months of quitting smoking when I learned about CHS. When I was dealing with my stomach issues, I had a lot of stress in my life, and when I quit smoking, my stress also went away. I had stomach ulcers, a hernia, and erosion in my esophagus. I had an endoscopy done. I want to get a second opinion on if this sounds like CHS.

#

CHS (Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome) patients are less likely to develop ulcers in the stomach unless associated with H. pylori (Helicobacter pylori) infection or other risk factors. So you may be suffering from peptic ulcers, and you may need further proton pump inhibitors and anti-emetic medication. Probably this may be a mixed condition, so I prescribe Tablet Omeprazole (Prilosec) 40 mg once a day before breakfast for one month. I also ask you to take a urease test and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.

|