Perimenopause

What are the first signs of early-onset menopause?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53 year old female. My periods have been delayed for two weeks. Till now they are normally regular. Could it be the early onset of menopause or they will eventually come?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have been regular with your menses these years and this is the first episode at 53 years of age when the menses have been delayed by two weeks, the causes can be a possible initiation of perimenopausal stage where menses are often delayed for a month or two an...  Read Full »

I am nearing menopause and periods have become irregular. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 48 years old. I have been experiencing irregular periods, which I realize as normal as I am entering menopause age. Last month, I did not get my period. But, this month it has been a heavy and lengthy one for more than 17 days now. I felt the normal fatigue and today, I have been fe...  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have bleeding and you have to change two to three pads per day, then you do not have to do anything for bleeding on urgent basis. At 48 years of age, if you are bleeding heavily, then better get an appointment and check your cervix and the other things. If requ...  Read Full »

On Gestin for delayed period. When should I expect my period?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with delayed periods. Consulted a gynecologist and started Gestin since 1 week. But still have not got my periods. Home pregnancy tests done and turned out to be negative thrice. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tablet Gestin (Allylestrenol) contains natural progesterone, which is given for 5 days to bring about withdrawal bleeding. You have not mentioned how long you have taken the drug. Withdrawal bleeding usually occurs 48 hours after stopping the drug to up to 7 ...  Read Full »

Can taking hormonal pills for perimenopause symptoms cause breast cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46-year-old female who is dealing with perimenopause symptoms. My Ob-gyn has recommended taking low dose of birth control pills to relieve my symptoms. However, I am at a higher risk for breast cancer because my late mother (who died in an auto accident) was a breast cancer sur...  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. That is really sad to hear about your mother but I would like to add into your information that evidence suggests that HRT does not significantly increase the risk of breast cancer. It is only contraindicated if the person taking HRT has breast cancer already. Second...  Read Full »

Will taking Ashwagandha for perimenopause symptoms cause any side-effects?

Query: Hello doctor, I am thinking of using Ashwagandha supplements (400 mg) to help with my perimenopause symptoms. I would like to have an extensive list of side effects if there are any. I have no known illnesses and take no medications apart from Omega 3 twice a day.  Read Full »

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ashwagandha is a very potent ayurvedic medicine. It has very good effect in neurological issues. It helps to improve your immunity and metabolism. It is very helpful in perimenopause symptoms. You can take 3 gm Ashwagandha powder or 500 mg Ashwagandha tablet twice a day...  Read Full »

Can ayurvedic medication alone shrink multiple uterine fibroids?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old and have been diagnosed with multiple uterine fibroids. Two of them are a little more than 3 cm at different places in the uterus. In the past, I have been operated for endometriosis level 4. As usual, the gynecologist is suggesting a hysterectomy. But since I am in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The medicine you are taking is good for your condition. If you want to try shrinking it with medicine alone, you can continue that. Along with that, I advise you to visit a nearby Ayurveda physician or a panchakarma center and ask for the procedure related to fibroi...  Read Full »

Will hysterectomy cure adenomyosis?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife usually has a period for six to seven days. On the first two days, she has pain. At times, she has heavy clots also. The doctor had asked us to do the scanning and some test. The scanning report is attached. 'There is anteverted and bulky uterus which measures 11.7 by 10.3 by...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The scan (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows a bulky uterus which can be due to adenomyosis or possible fibroids in situ, but the absence of fibroids is evident. She is likely to experience painful menses and heavy bleeding due to adenomyosis as we...  Read Full »

Can a small thin-walled hemorrhagic cyst turn cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 48 years old presented with symptoms of vomiting, acidity, bloating, and headache. She is in a perimenopausal phase. She visited a gynecologist and went for a pelvic ultrasound. The reports show that she is having a small thin-walled hemorrhagic cyst with internal echoes ...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It would be better for me to have your mother's obstetrics, gynecological, medical, surgical and drug present and past history as I could be able to correlate symptoms. If she has been tr...  Read Full »

Please help me figure out the reason for my early cycle.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old. My periods have been very much regular throughout my life and my cycle is about 26 days with 3 days of periods.  But this time, I got my periods 10 days before the date and stayed for 3 days as usual. But, this time it started again after 5 days of completion and no...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This could be a temporary disturbance as the first time you are having this. But, keep in your mind that according to your age, you are approaching perimenopausal stage. At this age, it is very common to have irregular, prolonged or absent cycle for a longer duration. ...  Read Full »

I am perimenopausal and I have not got my periods. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46-year-old female and my periods have become increasingly irregular. They used to be around 24 days in length and my current cycle is now 36 days. My basal body temperature indicated that I may have ovulated on day 10. But I have not menstruated at all this cycle - not even sp...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, you have not ovulated on day 10 because if it would have been so you would have had your period by now. Menstruation usually occurs 14 days after ovulation and the duration between ovulation and menstruation is always fixed. Ovulation occurs only once in one cy...  Read Full »