Perimenopause

Please advise on estradiol levels in a healthy woman.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife has a normal regular menstrual cycle and her age is 35. I am attaching the estradiol (E2) hormone report of my wife. The blood serum sample was taken on the 23rd day of her menstrual cycle. The estradiol (E2) level is 179.48 pg/mL. We have been married since 3 years and have a 2...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two major types of estrogen, the female sex hormone. They are estradiol and estrone. In younger woman, the first one is in abundant quantity and the second one is in less. And near menopause, the level just reverses. It means there is more production of es...  Read Full »

What is the cause of recurrent chest pain in my mother?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is having severe chest pain and this has been the case every year during this period. She has consulted a lot many doctors and she took all the prescriptions as per them every year then it goes away only to reappear again during the next year. She is also being upset due to...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to understand first of all that every chest pain should be taken as heart problems until proved otherwise. So if previously ECG (electrocardiography) has been done, you should get it done again. If the cardiac part is clear, I would say that she probably has p...  Read Full »

How to treat heavy menstrual bleeding occurring for 13 days?

Query: My wife age 46. Suffering from heavy blooding during menstruation period. She came into same phase after eight months.(almost eight months no periods at all). Periods started on 13 days back, continue till date. Using 5-6 senetary pads during each day. Also passing through senior abdominal pain se...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query, With the history, it is clear that she is in her peri-menopausal status and experiencing menorrhagia or excessive bleeding since 13 days, which is often seen in peri-menopausal women. She has been given antifibrinolytics in form or tranexa-mf which is fine, but if ble...  Read Full »

Though I take medications for fibroids, I get on and off bleeding. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 48 years old. I have two fibroids 9 cm total size and was advised to take 2 x 500 mg three times a day but it completely stops the bleeding but the bleeding starts after three days again. I have had on and off bleeding for two weeks now. Is this a common problem with the med...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would have been helpful if you could attach the report of your ultrasound for me to have a look. Based on what you mentioned about the total size of two fibroids to be ~9 cm, I am assuming each one must be less than 5 cm and not so huge. Fibroids would not cause...  Read Full »

What are the first signs of early-onset menopause?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53 year old female. My periods have been delayed for two weeks. Till now they are normally regular. Could it be the early onset of menopause or they will eventually come?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have been regular with your menses these years and this is the first episode at 53 years of age when the menses have been delayed by two weeks, the causes can be a possible initiation of perimenopausal stage where menses are often delayed for a month or two an...  Read Full »

I am nearing menopause and periods have become irregular. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 48 years old. I have been experiencing irregular periods, which I realize as normal as I am entering menopause age. Last month, I did not get my period. But, this month it has been a heavy and lengthy one for more than 17 days now. I felt the normal fatigue and today, I have been fe...  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have bleeding and you have to change two to three pads per day, then you do not have to do anything for bleeding on urgent basis. At 48 years of age, if you are bleeding heavily, then better get an appointment and check your cervix and the other things. If requ...  Read Full »

On Gestin for delayed period. When should I expect my period?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with delayed periods. Consulted a gynecologist and started Gestin since 1 week. But still have not got my periods. Home pregnancy tests done and turned out to be negative thrice. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tablet Gestin (Allylestrenol) contains natural progesterone, which is given for 5 days to bring about withdrawal bleeding. You have not mentioned how long you have taken the drug. Withdrawal bleeding usually occurs 48 hours after stopping the drug to up to 7 ...  Read Full »

Can taking hormonal pills for perimenopause symptoms cause breast cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46-year-old female who is dealing with perimenopause symptoms. My Ob-gyn has recommended taking low dose of birth control pills to relieve my symptoms. However, I am at a higher risk for breast cancer because my late mother (who died in an auto accident) was a breast cancer sur...  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. That is really sad to hear about your mother but I would like to add into your information that evidence suggests that HRT does not significantly increase the risk of breast cancer. It is only contraindicated if the person taking HRT has breast cancer already. Second...  Read Full »

Will taking Ashwagandha for perimenopause symptoms cause any side-effects?

Query: Hello doctor, I am thinking of using Ashwagandha supplements (400 mg) to help with my perimenopause symptoms. I would like to have an extensive list of side effects if there are any. I have no known illnesses and take no medications apart from Omega 3 twice a day.  Read Full »

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ashwagandha is a very potent ayurvedic medicine. It has very good effect in neurological issues. It helps to improve your immunity and metabolism. It is very helpful in perimenopause symptoms. You can take 3 gm Ashwagandha powder or 500 mg Ashwagandha tablet twice a day...  Read Full »

Can ayurvedic medication alone shrink multiple uterine fibroids?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old and have been diagnosed with multiple uterine fibroids. Two of them are a little more than 3 cm at different places in the uterus. In the past, I have been operated for endometriosis level 4. As usual, the gynecologist is suggesting a hysterectomy. But since I am in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The medicine you are taking is good for your condition. If you want to try shrinking it with medicine alone, you can continue that. Along with that, I advise you to visit a nearby Ayurveda physician or a panchakarma center and ask for the procedure related to fibroi...  Read Full »