Perimenopause

Why is my periods late?

Query: Hi doctor,I missed my period and my actual due date was 20 days ago. But, the pregnancy test shows negative and this is happening for the first time. My period is always regular. What could cause this? What will the reason behind this?  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. At the age of 35 years and with the concern of your weight 39.92 and BMI 14.2, you may have early menopause. Do a thyroid test. Sometimes, due to thyroid also your periods can get elongated. Or it is more likely perimenopausal period from which you are passing and...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms due to PCOS or perimenopause?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. Ever since my first period, my cycles have always been irregular. For almost 7 to 8 years, I had irregular cycles. I had a scan and nothing abnormal was seen. My doctor said that I should just leave nature do its work. A year back, I started with yoga. Also, I started f...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, you need to do blood tests Hb (hemoglobin), TC (total blood count), DC (differential count), sugar postprandial, prolactin, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and testosterone. Also, an ultrasound of pelvis to see the cause of m...  Read Full »

Why is there an irregular flow of spotting and heavy flow in a peri-menopausal woman?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 43-year-old female. During my last period, I had only spotting for three days. This month I had a heavy period. Here the doctor checked my USG, blood tests, and urine test reports. She said everything is normal. She prescribed Tranexamic acid and Provera, a Progestin pill 5 mg thr...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For you, as this was just the first episode of hypomenorrhea (scanty period) followed by menorrhagia (heavy period) with continuous irregular shedding in the form of spotting per vaginum, you can wait upon it to stop or can start Duoluton L (Levonorgestrel and Ethiny...  Read Full »

Do fibroids continue to shrink after six months of UFE?

Query: Hi there, Presently, I am a very anxious lady, who has just turned 50 years in perimenopause. I have a severe phobia of menstrual blood loss and dread having heavy loss, in fact most things about periods upset me, where I just wish to avoid them. Last year, I had UFE for one intramural fibroid, and...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, How are you doing? You have having the right treatment for fibroid but I don't think you have been fully explained about the procedure and what to expect. Let me give you few facts. First of all, you are absolutely healthy and will lead a normal life. You are 49 yrs old & will be entering ...  Read Full »

Please advise on estradiol levels in a healthy woman.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife has a normal regular menstrual cycle and her age is 35. I am attaching the estradiol (E2) hormone report of my wife. The blood serum sample was taken on the 23rd day of her menstrual cycle. The estradiol (E2) level is 179.48 pg/mL. We have been married since 3 years and have a 2...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two major types of estrogen, the female sex hormone. They are estradiol and estrone. In younger woman, the first one is in abundant quantity and the second one is in less. And near menopause, the level just reverses. It means there is more production of es...  Read Full »

What is the cause of recurrent chest pain in my mother?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is having severe chest pain and this has been the case every year during this period. She has consulted a lot many doctors and she took all the prescriptions as per them every year then it goes away only to reappear again during the next year. She is also being upset due to...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to understand first of all that every chest pain should be taken as heart problems until proved otherwise. So if previously ECG (electrocardiography) has been done, you should get it done again. If the cardiac part is clear, I would say that she probably has p...  Read Full »

How to treat heavy menstrual bleeding occurring for 13 days?

Query: My wife age 46. Suffering from heavy blooding during menstruation period. She came into same phase after eight months.(almost eight months no periods at all). Periods started on 13 days back, continue till date. Using 5-6 senetary pads during each day. Also passing through senior abdominal pain se...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query, With the history, it is clear that she is in her peri-menopausal status and experiencing menorrhagia or excessive bleeding since 13 days, which is often seen in peri-menopausal women. She has been given antifibrinolytics in form or tranexa-mf which is fine, but if ble...  Read Full »

Though I take medications for fibroids, I get on and off bleeding. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 48 years old. I have two fibroids 9 cm total size and was advised to take 2 x 500 mg three times a day but it completely stops the bleeding but the bleeding starts after three days again. I have had on and off bleeding for two weeks now. Is this a common problem with the med...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would have been helpful if you could attach the report of your ultrasound for me to have a look. Based on what you mentioned about the total size of two fibroids to be ~9 cm, I am assuming each one must be less than 5 cm and not so huge. Fibroids would not cause...  Read Full »

What are the first signs of early-onset menopause?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53 year old female. My periods have been delayed for two weeks. Till now they are normally regular. Could it be the early onset of menopause or they will eventually come?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have been regular with your menses these years and this is the first episode at 53 years of age when the menses have been delayed by two weeks, the causes can be a possible initiation of perimenopausal stage where menses are often delayed for a month or two an...  Read Full »

I am nearing menopause and periods have become irregular. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 48 years old. I have been experiencing irregular periods, which I realize as normal as I am entering menopause age. Last month, I did not get my period. But, this month it has been a heavy and lengthy one for more than 17 days now. I felt the normal fatigue and today, I have been fe...  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have bleeding and you have to change two to three pads per day, then you do not have to do anything for bleeding on urgent basis. At 48 years of age, if you are bleeding heavily, then better get an appointment and check your cervix and the other things. If requ...  Read Full »