Q. Why do I have shooting pain in my calves after walking?

Published on Apr 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 60 year old known diabetic. Since two years, I am having severe leg pain when I walk even for a small distance. I have shooting pain in my calves after just 10 minutes of walk. Doctors have diagnosed it as calcification of nerves. I have attached my reports for your reference. Please help.

#

You are having intermittent claudication due to a peripheral arterial disease as demonstrated by your arterial ultrasound (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am hoping it is a Doppler ultrasound.

It appears that your diabetes is under control and you do not have heart failure. I understand that you have no history of heart attack either.

Peripheral vascular disease, less likely but sciatica is also possible. You have normal EMG, but there is no MRI and nerve conduction study available.

If ankle-brachial index is normal, then nerve conduction study has to be taken.

Peripheral vascular disease.

1. Increase the Cilostazol to 100 mg twice daily if there is no history of heart failure, heart attack and not taking two blood thinner agents together.
2. If taking Aspirin only, then it is safe to increase the dose to 100 mg twice daily.
3. I would encourage you to take 81 mg of Aspirin daily.
4. Also, do exercise grading. It is a three month program that will gradually build your exercise tolerance.

Follow up in a month to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Will surgery help my sciatica?

Query: Hi doctor, I have left leg sciatica. There is no back pain, but there is a referred pain down to the heel. I have recurring flare ups once in every six to eight months. I am currently taking Advil 3200 mg per day and ice. I feel great once the Advil kicks in. I got a selective nerve block on L5-S1 b...  Read Full »

Can Aspirin be used to induce periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. I had unprotected sex on the 10th day of my period and then took Unwanted 72 within an hour. Now my period has been delayed by 12 days. The pregnancy test done after 10 days of missing period is negative. But, I am getting pimples, bloated stomach and white vaginal disc...  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article