Q. Is my mother's leg pain sciatica or something else?

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

My 49 year old mother has a severe (sciatica-like) leg pain. There is also pain below the knee and at the back of the leg. The pain is an extreme burning sensation kind of pain. It sometimes moves to the hips. The pain increases when she sits or tries to walk. She is taking a pain killer called Zerodol-SP.  But, it is not working. Suggest some medicine that would give her relief.

#

• A sciatica-like pain can respond to physiotherapy and rehabilitative exercises.
  • I suggest she try tablet Lyrica (Pregabalin) 75 mg at night. It is a little expensive one, but a good medicine.
  • The other option is to take tablet Pregaba-M (a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin) 75 mg at night.
  • For severe pain, take Paracetamol. If it does not work for her, repeat MRI LS spine and see if she requires a surgery. Avoid Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac,  Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) as far as possible.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Hello doctor,

Thank you for the reply. Will Lyrica 75 mg and Paracetamol alone suffice? What is the dose of Paracetamol she needs to take?

#

• Sciatica management mainly involves physiotherapy and rehabilitative training.
  • Avoid stress over the back.
  • We have to get that disc back in between the vertebra. It can be done by exercises and surgery.
  • Drug therapy is for pain relief alone. It does not cure the underlying pathology.
  • Ask her to take Paracetamol 500 mg only when the pain is severe. If there is no relief, I suggest trying Diclofenac 50 mg one tablet.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|