Q. Is my mother's leg pain sciatica or something else?

Answered by
Dr. Nene Devavrat Harihar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 27, 2017

Hello doctor,

My 49 year old mother has a severe (sciatica-like) leg pain. There is also pain below the knee and at the back of the leg. The pain is an extreme burning sensation kind of pain. It sometimes moves to the hips. The pain increases when she sits or tries to walk. She is taking a pain killer called Zerodol-SP.  But, it is not working. Suggest some medicine that would give her relief.



Welcome to

  • A sciatica-like pain can respond to physiotherapy and rehabilitative exercises.
  • I suggest she try tablet Lyrica (Pregabalin) 75 mg at night. It is a little expensive one, but a good medicine.
  • The other option is to take tablet Pregaba-M (a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin) 75 mg at night.
  • For severe pain, take Paracetamol. If it does not work for her, repeat MRI LS spine and see if she requires a surgery. Avoid Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac,  Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) as far as possible.

For further queries consult a neurologist online -->

Hello doctor,

Thank you for the reply. Will Lyrica 75 mg and Paracetamol alone suffice? What is the dose of Paracetamol she needs to take?



Welcome back to

  • Sciatica management mainly involves physiotherapy and rehabilitative training.
  • Avoid stress over the back.
  • We have to get that disc back in between the vertebra. It can be done by exercises and surgery.
  • Drug therapy is for pain relief alone. It does not cure the underlying pathology.
  • Ask her to take Paracetamol 500 mg only when the pain is severe. If there is no relief, I suggest trying Diclofenac 50 mg one tablet.

For more information consult a neurologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Understanding Low Back Pain

.. commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation .. ...   Read full

Experiencing severe back pain following cervical polypectomy. Is it normal?

.. normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar sm...   Read full

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

.. when a hip replacement is done, that day itself, other joint movements should be started as early as possible. First, non-weight-bearing physiotherapy should be done, followed by partial and full weight-bearing exercises. Non-weight bearing moveme...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.