Q. Is my mother's leg pain sciatica or something else?

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene
Published on Aug 27, 2017

My 49 year old mother has a severe (sciatica-like) leg pain. There is also pain below the knee and at the back of the leg. The pain is an extreme burning sensation kind of pain. It sometimes moves to the hips. The pain increases when she sits or tries to walk. She is taking a pain killer called Zerodol-SP.  But, it is not working. Suggest some medicine that would give her relief.

#

• A sciatica-like pain can respond to physiotherapy and rehabilitative exercises.
  • I suggest she try tablet Lyrica (Pregabalin) 75 mg at night. It is a little expensive one, but a good medicine.
  • The other option is to take tablet Pregaba-M (a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin) 75 mg at night.
  • For severe pain, take Paracetamol. If it does not work for her, repeat MRI LS spine and see if she requires a surgery. Avoid Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac,  Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) as far as possible.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Hello doctor,

Thank you for the reply. Will Lyrica 75 mg and Paracetamol alone suffice? What is the dose of Paracetamol she needs to take?

#

• Sciatica management mainly involves physiotherapy and rehabilitative training.
  • Avoid stress over the back.
  • We have to get that disc back in between the vertebra. It can be done by exercises and surgery.
  • Drug therapy is for pain relief alone. It does not cure the underlying pathology.
  • Ask her to take Paracetamol 500 mg only when the pain is severe. If there is no relief, I suggest trying Diclofenac 50 mg one tablet.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full »

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full »

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 33 year old male. I have sex regularly and masturbate regularly. Over the years, I dabbled in penis enlargement exercises. I quit doing them a while back because I felt it was causing a damage to the penis. Recently, I used a cock ring, but for not more than ten minute...  Read Full »