Q. How can I protect myself from sunlight?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

Two years back during my holidays, I developed a large rash over the whole of my legs. It was described as petechiae when I got back to my native. The infection had got into my blood stream and my white blood cell count was extremely high. It took some time for it to return to normal. I always have problems with reactions to the sun. I used to develop rashes, swellings, severe burns even if only going out for five minutes, also fully covered dizziness and tiredness. However, I am again going on holiday later this month. I would like to know how I can protect myself, so this does not happen again. I have been taking antihistamines for two months now. I noted that sunscreens did not help to prevent this last time. Please give some advice regarding this. Thank you.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• The problem quoted by you as a petechia with blood stream infection and increased white blood cell count is broad in the sense it can include,
  1. Sepsis due to bacterial infection. 
  2. Viral hemorrhagic fever.
  3. Parasitic infections.
  • Whatever might be the cause; infections are usually spread through water, food and vectors like mosquitoes.
  • Drink purified water and protect yourself from mosquitoes by applying repellant creams if they suit you.
  • It seems you have photo allergy that is photosensitive skin to ultraviolet rays.
  • Continue using antihistamines and topical creams, which you are using now and cover as much skin as possible whilst you are out in the sun.
  • If you have severe sun sensitivity with blisters then you should be evaluated for systemic lupus erythematosus particularly molar rash or butterfly rash on face by testing for ANA and also for porphyrias (accumulation of porphyrin - group of rare diseases).

1. Confine your summer excursions to early in the morning and late in the evening.
2. Wear clothes that cover exposed areas uniformly.
3. Use sunscreens with SPF 50 particularly that which has Zinc in it.
4. I also suggest vitamin D supplement and antioxidants like carotenoids and polyphenols. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
5. Avoid your tour to high altitudes and snowy areas as snow reflects sun and may cause worse sun burn.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

How to Select a Sunscreen?

Article Overview: The most common questions in dermatological practice are which sunscreen to use and while going out in the sun what are the sun protection measures. The answers are here in this article. Read Article

Ultraviolet radiation like UVA and UVB has been well documented to have multiple effects on human skin. It not only causes skin cancer, but also cutaneous aging like seborrheic keratosis, photomelanosis (pigmentation on sun exposed parts), wrinkles, polymorphous light eruption, melasma, freckles, le...  Read Article

Why do I have pain in my hands and wrists?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain in my hands and wrist and it started a few months ago. It is typically in the morning. I visited a doctor and she did blood tests. The result flagged in my blood tests was anti-Sm/RNP 2.8 and she has referred me to a rheumatologist, who cannot see me for the next two ...  Read Full »

Why is there slow healing of boils on my face?

Query: Hi doctor, Before eight months, I had boils on both sides of my face. Now, they left dark black marks. They are very stubborn and extremely hard to fade. They are gradually disappearing, but it is too slow. Please help.  Read Full »