Petechiae

What is the reason for the tiny, isolated red spots on the arms and chest?

Query: Hi doctor, I have tiny, isolated red dots on the arms (four on the left arm, three on the right arm), some on the chest away from each other. I am six feet two inches tall and weigh 250 pounds. I have an anxiety disorder (hypochondria). I am taking Coversyl (Perindopril) for hypertension and Allopur...  Read Full »

Dr. Shama Naaz

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The red spots over your skin could be due to petechiae. Petechiae are tiny red, flat spots that appear on your skin. They are caused by bleeding. They can sometimes be multiple and may appear as a rash. Do you get bruised easily, or does your blood take long to clot whe...  Read Full »

What are the risk factors associated with leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some petechiae. I do not know for how long I am having this. I saw about five doctors, none of them are concerned, but the thing is that it does not go away, and I am scared of leukemia. They did not ask me to do any blood test, and I would like a good and honest answer from yo...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Actually, these tiny spots can be due to allergic reactions, and honestly, I would suggest you not to worry because this is no sign of leukemia or any serious complications. It is just an allergic reaction. Causes can be shaving cream or razor...  Read Full »

What causes Schamberg disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some red flat dots on my feet, ankles, and leg. They are petechiae because they do not blanch. I do not have many of them, but I feel that they always tend to fade and come back in the same spot. I do not know if it is normal. I consulted with five doctors, and none of them ord...  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your case, and there is nothing to be worried about. It is capillaritis or Schamberg disease. In both conditions, blood oozes out from blood vessels and gets deposited in the skin layers. There is a variation of skin color, some have dark skin tone, and oth...  Read Full »

How to get rid of pigmented purpuric dermatosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some flat red dots on my feet, ankles, and leg. They are petechiae because they do not blanch. I do not have many of them, but they always tend to fade and come back in the same spots. I do not know if it is normal. I consulted five doctors, and I have not got my blood tested. The...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Please attach photographs to suggest the diagnosis and treatment. It might be pigmented purpuric dermatosis, a kind of pigmentation due to vascular stasis, seen on the lower legs and around ankles, but I need to see it to confirm. Kindly send ...  Read Full »

What could be the cause of my severe chronic back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 38 years old, and I am not overweight. Can you explain what this letter means, please? Multilevel heterogeneous marrow signal changes note that follow fatty marrow signal in articular lower thoracic, lumbar, and sacral spine follows fat signals. On the lower spine, L5/S1 showed mild...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can only explain what had been written in the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As I do not have the films to see, it is an interpretation of an interpretation (also, I gather that neurologist is not convinced about something and wants to rev...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to protect me from sunlight.

Query: Hi doctor, Two years back during my holidays, I developed a large rash over the whole of my legs. It was described as petechiae when I got back to my native. The infection had got into my blood stream and my white blood cell count was extremely high. It took some time for it to return to normal. I a...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The problem quoted by you as a petechia with blood stream infection and increased white blood cell count is broad in the sense it can include, Sepsis due to bacterial infection.¬† Viral hemorrhagic fever. Parasitic infections. Whatever might be the cause;¬†infections are...  Read Full »

Kindly explain my blood results taken for red and purple dots in the body.

Query: Hello doctor, Can you, please, explain results? I also have clusters of red and purple dots all over my body and get winded easy. Results: Lupus Anticoagulant Comp. Dilute Prothrombin Time(dPT) 56.2 High sec 0.0 − 55.0 01, dPT Confirm Ratio 1.16 Ratio 0.00 − 1.20 01, thrombin time 18.1 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having multiple petichae (red and purple - healing) spots all over the body (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are also getting winded possibly due to reduced hemoglobin. You were being evaluated for a possible lupus anticoagulant. Specific te...  Read Full »

Why are there vascular lines and petechiae in middle back?

Query: Hi doctor, I saw today that my husband has this vascuar lines and petechias in his middle back but I could not do a diagnosis. I am a general physician but not a dermatologist. Is this condition a vasculitis or something I should worry about?  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have observed the picture and also gone through the history of present and past illness (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I could observe that there is tendency for the lesions to assume a shape that is generally seen due to excoriation. This implies t...  Read Full »

What causes petechiae after lifting weights?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. Recently my GP asked for my blood work and I was tested for iron and vitamin D. My iron was fine. I had way too little vitamin D, however the doctor gave me vitamin D supplements. Right after I started taking the supplement, I got a cold and it lasted for two weeks. Lat...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: I can understand your dilemma. Family history and suspicious lesion can be difficult. Vitamin D deficiency is common nowadays due to reduced sun exposure. However, boosters would have helped. Avoid any further boosters as vit...  Read Full »

I have petechiae rash on my legs and arms with easy bruising. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently experienced a petechiae rash on my legs and arms and easy bruising. My PCP ordered blood work to look at platelet levels. The only abnormality was a slightly prolonged aPTT time (40 seconds and the lab reference range is 25 to 36 seconds). Further blood work was done: Von W...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For the petechial rash, you need to investigate with full CBC to check platelet count. Low platelet count is one of the causes of such a rash. I suggest you investigate with SGPT and ultrasonography abdomen to check for liver disease. Your raised APTT is a surprisi...  Read Full »