Q. Is it normal for my epiglottis to appear yellowish and red-veined?

Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 16 year old female, 5 feet in height and weigh around 65 kg. For the past few days, I have been having swollen lymph nodes all over my neck, a severe sore throat and tonsils which I assumed was just tonsilitis as I have had it before. However, I have been experiencing constant headaches, sore muscles, backache, and pain in my tail bone as well but, that might just be from falling over.

I was looking at the back of my throat in a mirror and noticed something that I had not seen before right behind my tongue. I had no idea what it was and neither did my mom. So, I searched online and found it was an epiglottis. But, I had never seen it before when looking in my throat which happens quite a bit because I always have sore throats. Is it normal for it to be so visible, yellowish and red-veined? I am attaching a few pictures. Do I have tonsillitis or something more serious? I have been trying to organize a doctor's appointment but have not been able to get one. Please answer.

#

From the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that you have severe pharyngitis with tonsillitis and epiglottitis. It could be a viral or bacterial epiglottitis. This usually resolves with antibiotics, but could also become very severe.

You need to undergo some tests like CBC (complete blood count), and throat swab culture sensitivity.

You need not worry unless there is breathlessness or stridor.

I suggest you start Amoxicillin and Clavulanate 625 mg twice a day, along with tablet Aceclofenac, Serratiopeptidase, and Paracetamol twice a day along with Pantoprazole 40 mg on an empty stomach. Take all the above for five days, till you get an appointment with an ENT specialist.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|