Q. I have severe throat pain. Please help.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I feel as though I may have Streptococcus infection or tonsillitis. I have been fine healthwise. All of a sudden this morning I woke up with severe throat pain. I am Type A Streptococcus. When I had Streptococcus infection, my lymph nodes never hurt too much and they were never too swollen or hurt by touch. This time, it hurts to put any amount of pressure on my throat, even to move my neck. I cannot even swallow my own saliva unless I force it. I have no appetite either. Please help.

#

The condition you have is URTI (upper respiratory tract infection) with odynophagia (pain on swallow).

It includes GAS (group A Streptococcus) causing tonsillitis and tonsillopharyngitis. It is an infectious disease and usually a childhood disease.

Recurrent streptococcal infections are usually of concern and lead to many suppurative and non- suppurative complications. You need to probe and ascertain the probable source of infection.

It is a communicable illness and can spread through salivary droplets.

I would hence recommend you to refrain from any intimate relationship and maintain good oral hygiene.

Throat swab and culture or RADT (rapid antigen detection test).

1. Tonsillitis.
2. Tonsillopharyngitis.
3. Quinsy (peritonsillar abscess).
4. Viral pharyngitis.
5. Coryza (rhinitis).

URTI and GAS tonsillopharyngitis.

1. After investigation, I suggest you to take Z-pak (Azithromycin).
2. If it is not responsive as in your previous history then you may have tablet Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice daily for 10 days.
3. If you are allergic to Penicillin then tablet Clarithromycin 250 mg twice daily for 10 days.
4. Tablet PCM 500 mg (Paracetamol) if any fever.

1. Spread by droplets of saliva. So maintain best oral hygiene with mouth wash.
2. Do salt water gargling repeatedly with lukewarm water.
3. Have more water liquid and bland diet not to hurt your oral mucosa.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|