Q. Are these the side effects of Phendimetrazine?

Dr. Saumya Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

I took thermogenic Phendimetrazine for two days. I am now experiencing shortness of breath and excessive yawning. I am also burping all the time. I stopped taking the medicine six days ago and, yet I am still gasping for breath and experiencing these side effects. My doctor did an EKG and it came back normal. I also want to know, will this go away? How long will it last? Could taking these medications for only two days cause permanent damage? Is this a normal side effect?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• The symptoms of the query are quite suggestive of the side effects of the medicine Phendimetrazine, an appetite suppressant.
  • The symptoms should go away. However, it may take up to 15 days.
  • Yes, the side effects can come within 2 days. Also, this side effect is well known.
  • If symptoms persist, then I suggest an MRI brain and CT chest. The former is needed because all symptoms and effects come from brain stimulation. 
  • You may need some extra oxygen if you cannot breathe optimally. If these concerns continue to persist, then please go to the emergency room and see a doctor for a full checkup.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Could you please explain MRI brain and CSF studies related to NPH?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you please give the diagnosis of the uploaded MRI brain and CSF studies with a detailed report? Please advise on the action plan as to how to get the CSF findings treated. The MRI report is enclosed. Does the enclosed report co-relate with your findings? The MRI report CSF studies r...  Read Full »

Shortness of breath and chest pain after breathing in steam

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male weighing in 185 and 5'9". I do not take any medications. I am worried if I am at risk of any complications after having breathed in some steam/air at about 350 F. I was covering a pot roast I had just taken out of the oven when I accidentally took a breath of it...  Read Full »

Is shortness of breath and chest pain associated with anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female on Prednisone 40 mg and Vitamin C 2.5 g since the past five days. I have just woken up feeling short of breath and chest pain. I checked my blood pressure, and it was 120/80 mmHg and my heart rate was in 50s. My blood pressure will be usually 110/65 mmHg, and my heart rate i...  Read Full »