Pheochromocytoma

Left adrenal mass involving lower medial limb 11 mm in size. What does it mean?

Query: Hello doctor, Left adrenal mass involving lower medial limb 11 mm in size. What does it mean?  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It means that there is an abnormal mass in the adrenal gland. The adrenal gland is an essential organ which is located over the top of both kidneys. Mass in the adrenal gland is an abnormal condition and requires further investigations to make a definitive diagnosis....  Read Full »

Why am I having palpitations with high blood pressure?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old and I have started to struggle with palpitations. When I was around 12 I started having high blood pressure and since then it has not stopped. I have gotten many tests done for my heart and all have turned out normal, but I am still concerned. I do have a poor diet and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have done many tests with cardiac point of view? First of all, raised blood pressure in very young age, 12 years in your case, should be investigated. It must be secondary to some other disease. One of which is called pheochromocytoma. This condition causes both hig...  Read Full »

What is the cause of high BP, mood swings, and night sweats?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother is 34 years old. He was diagnosed to have high blood pressure in his 20 years of age. He feels palpitations and sweats at night while sleeping even in cold weather. Many times the sole of his feet get swollen. He remains in haste, cannot wait for long, and gets anxious many t...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, regarding his mental condition, it seems that he is suffering and there is a definite need for treatment. The problem becomes more acute considering positive family history of schizophrenia in mother. Most of his symptoms indicate mood disorder which includes both...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to control my BP with medicines?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a resistant hypertension. Even five drugs failed with a lot of side effects. I was safe on Methyldopa for 2 years with Hydrochlorothiazide. Now, there is no supply of this medicine. I started Nebivolol 5 mg with Chlorthalidone last night. I have the feel of chest tightening and sli...  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With all your details, you come under stage 3 - severe hypertensive group. First, I would suggest you to look for the cause of grade 3 hypertension. Conditions like pheochromocytoma can lead to resistant hypertension. To rule out pheochromocytoma an MRI of the abdomen ...  Read Full »

I had random urine test for pheochromocytoma. Do I have elevated lab work?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a random urine test for pheochromocytoma and I think my PCP is reading wrong. I went to the lab and gave an ambiguous report confusing people. She did say fourfold elevation normetanephrine and four-fold elevation u-metanephrine. I do have episodic severe hypertension attacks, p...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your results showed raised urinary metanephrines but the other metabolites were within normal range. This could still indicate pheochromocytoma. I must say that your symptoms are quite suggestive of pheochromocytoma although not exclusively in favor of it. ...  Read Full »

What could be the cause of high blood pressure in young adults?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old skinny male. My BP was 158/100, but that could be because I was anxious at the doctor's. I have no prior health conditions. What could be the causes of a high blood pressure for me other than anxiety?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your age is 19 and your blood pressure is high. There are certain causes of hypertension in the young. The other causes have to be ruled out before labeling it as anxiety related hypertension. These include:  Renal abnormalitie...  Read Full »

Please suggest methods to control my hypertension.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been under medications for hypertension for the past five years. I am currently taking Zilance 40 and Ciplar 10. The random blood pressure reading is 140/100 and goes to around 160/100 at times. The current symptoms include excessive sweating, palpitations, anxiety, headaches, f...  Read Full »

Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Urinary VMA (vanillylmandelic acid) and Metanephrine tests are done to detect Pheochromocytoma, a kind of tumor, that causes hypertension in young persons, as well as facial flushing, headaches, and palpitations. Though it is rare, it is better to rule out pheochromo...  Read Full »

What can cause hyperhidrosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 15 year old boy and I have hyperhidrosis. I sweat so much. My shirt cannot stay on for at least 5 minutes. In some half an hour to one hour my whole shirt and armpit area will drench in sweat. Yes, I take a shower twice a day and put deodorant every day. I have even tried the anti...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating could be due to endocrine or hormone related issues. I have explained the causes below. Hyperthyroidism - A simple, non-fasting blood test called TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) will help in diagnosing this problem. Acromegaly - Ano...  Read Full »