iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal MedicinehyperhidrosisWhat are the causes of hyperhidrosis?

What can cause hyperhidrosis?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 3, 2016
Reviewed AtJune 28, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 15 year old boy and I have hyperhidrosis. I sweat so much. My shirt cannot stay on for at least 5 minutes. In some half an hour to one hour my whole shirt and armpit area will drench in sweat. Yes, I take a shower twice a day and put deodorant every day. I have even tried the antiperspirant deodorant, but that did not stop it and I think it made it worse. I really want to believe it is just puberty as this has been going on since I was 12 or 13. But, something tells me that it is not because of puberty. Everyone else at school does not have this problem and some relatives in my family has it too. Just like my shirt, my pants will start soaking after 30 minutes of sitting down. I really want a diagnosis or close to one before I actually go to a doctor as I have not yet regarding my issue. Also are there any home remedies or other over-the-counter deodorant to help minimize this issue or completely stop it? I am really fit and regularly lift weights, play lots of sports (soccer, boxing, etc.,) and keep my body in good shape. I know that weight lifting could not be a problem if that was a suggestion. I sweat a lot when I am in social places such as school or when I go out. It is not because of anxiety, but I rarely feel nervous when my arms are getting drenched. This is a more serious problem in the morning either at home or at a social place and gradually calms during the afternoon when I am at home. It is so bad that my armpits can drench two layers of clothing. For example, if I wear a shirt and a jacket over it, then it does not really matter how many layers and by the end of the day my clothing will be soaked in sweat. I do not really have any symptoms besides the fact that I am always on alert when I am out. This is really embarrassing and I have no idea what to do about this. Please help.


Welcome to icliniq.com. Hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating could be due to endocrine or hormone related issues. Hyperthyroidism, a simple, non-fasting blood test called TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) will help in diagnosing this problem. Acromegaly, another random blood test for IGF1 (Insulin-like growth factors) rules out this condition in most cases. Pheochromocytoma, plasma free metanephrines are useful in ruling out this condition. It can also be due to low blood glucose. If the cause is found, then it should be treated, otherwise it is genetic. Treatment consists of application of aluminium hydroxide or chloride on affected part. More useful are potent anticholinergic drugs such as Glycopyrrolate, 1 - 2 mg thrice in a day. Another option is iontophoresis. Regarding this you can visit your doctor and discuss for further guidelines about this in person following physical evaluation.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Srivastava, Sumit
Dr. Srivastava, Sumit

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy