Q. What can cause hyperhidrosis?

Published on Jun 03, 2016

I am a 15 year old boy and I have hyperhidrosis. I sweat so much. My shirt cannot stay on for at least 5 minutes. In some half an hour to one hour my whole shirt and armpit area will drench in sweat. Yes, I take a shower twice a day and put deodorant every day. I have even tried the antiperspirant deodorant, but that did not stop it and I think it made it worse. I really want to believe it is just puberty as this has been going on since I was 12 or 13. But, something tells me that it is not because of puberty. Everyone else at school does not have this problem and some relatives in my family has it too. Just like my shirt, my pants will start soaking after 30 minutes of sitting down. I really want a diagnosis or close to one before I actually go to a doctor as I have not yet regarding my issue. Also are there any home remedies or other over-the-counter deodorant to help minimize this issue or completely stop it? I am really fit and regularly lift weights, play lots of sports (soccer, boxing, etc.,) and keep my body in good shape. I know that weight lifting could not be a problem if that was a suggestion. I sweat a lot when I am in social places such as school or when I go out. It is not because of anxiety, but I rarely feel nervous when my arms are getting drenched. This is a more serious problem in the morning either at home or at a social place and gradually calms during the afternoon when I am at home. It is so bad that my armpits can drench two layers of clothing. For example, if I wear a shirt and a jacket over it, then it does not really matter how many layers and by the end of the day my clothing will be soaked in sweat. I do not really have any symptoms besides the fact that I am always on alert when I am out. This is really embarrassing and I have no idea what to do about this. Please help.

#

• Hyperthyroidism - A simple, non-fasting blood test called TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) will help in diagnosing this problem.
  • Acromegaly - Another random blood test for IGF1 (Insulin-like growth factors) rules out this condition in most cases.
  • Pheochromocytoma - Plasma free metanephrines are useful in ruling out this condition.
  • It can also be due to low blood glucose. If the cause is found, then it should be treated, otherwise it is genetic.
  • Treatment consists of application of aluminium hydroxide or chloride on affected part.
  • More useful are potent anticholinergic drugs such as Glycopyrrolate, 1-2 mg thrice in a day.
  • Another option is iontophoresis. Regarding this you can visit your doctor and discuss for further guidelines about this in person following physical evaluation.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

HGH - The Human Growth Regulator

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the functions of the Human Growth Hormone Read Article

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati
General Medicine Physician

HGH means Human Growth Hormone. It is also known as somatotropin or somatropin. It is made up of protein chains known as peptides. People mainly think of using this hormone for extra growth and try to become youthful, but is not realistic. Researches show that it is not useful for becoming youthful ...  Read Article

Do I have to stop taking ashwagandha before a surgery?Will it interact with anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am scheduled for sinus surgery day after tomorrow. I have been given a list of medications which should not be taken and I have followed that. However, I have been taking ashwagandha (herb supplement 470 mg once a day) to help with anxiety. I read online that this may interfere with ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. 1. Ashwagandha or Indian ginseng is a well known ayurvedic herbal medicine. 2. The following constitute its important effects on the human body: It causes increase in energy levels. It m...  Read Full

Does radio iodine ablation treatment for hyperthyroidism cause cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had hyperthyroidism six years ago and he underwent radioiodine ablation and now taking thyroxine 100 mg tablet. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Is there any possib...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your father. Let me answer each one of your questions one by one. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? No. Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Yes, it compl...  Read Full