Q. Is it normal to have engorged penile vein?

Answered by
Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Jul 24, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am 29 years old man, currently having issues with my penis. So it has been exactly one week where I was doing foreskin stretching while erection during taking a shower three days straight, due to a very tight foreskin. I noticed very dull pain the second day which went from the front left side of the penis head to back pelvic floor area. I also noticed the veins on my penis is inflamed swollen. How can I cure this soon? I was concerned and decided to masturbate to check my semen, which was good (no blood). The penis skin is good and no bruising showing, just the swollen veins. I was forcing the foreskin back and do not know if I hit the vein, or etc. Please help.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern about your symptoms. Since it is an acute one, it can be due to phimosis. Do you have any of the following issues: Itching, any discharge, pain, swelling, irritation, redness, disruption in the flow of urine, difficulty passing urine, irritation while passing urine, painful masturbation. Kindly send a picture for better understanding. At present, painkillers will help you. for further management, share more details.

Thank you doctor,

I am feeling discomfort in the bottom of the penis that goes straight to the pelvic floor, especially on the left front side of the penis. I also recently started to feel itchy around genitals and all around the penis. Which do you think it is due to healing? It has been roughly seven days since the pressure is being felt, which also feels as I need to do number 2. I have attached the pictures.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, properly you would have injured yourself that is why you have inflammation feeling like discomfort. Itching can be due to the healing of fungal infection. If the itching is always present and you can feel flakes of dry skin, you need antifungal treatment. Feeling of passing number 2 can be again due to infection, urinary tract infection.

So, in general, you need to be on anti-inflammatory drugs for discomfort issue and antibiotic and antifungal and give rest for your penis for a week or two. So it will heal.

Hello doctor,

Thank you for your response. However, in the images, do you see anything out of ordinary? Or is it good? The urine flow is good no blood, including I tried to masturbate yesterday in which the semen was also good, but after masturbation, I noticed the veins on my penis was swollen, including the left front side of the penis was also tender and had a lot of pain which is lasting till today. I know I should have relaxed but I was worried and that is why I wanted to check my semen if it was good. I am taking antibiotics called Ciprofloxacin 500 mg (five days), which the course ends today.

I am not a sexually active person so STI infections are out of the question. I have attached a new image.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I cannot make out any abnormality in the scrotum, The penis has a lot of veins, may be redness. I cannot make out redness in the picture. People who use penis (sex or masturbation) a lot can have excess veins in penis-like going to the gym can push up veins in muscles- it is normal. But foreskin stretching has chances for injury or preopen injury which can lead to inflammation- redness and enlarged veins.

Yes, Ciprofloxacin 500 mg is good, it will take care of only bacteria, taking Brufen or Aceclofenac with Paracetamol will reduce the inflammation unless you are not allergic to these drugs.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
Orthopaedician And Traumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you are 28 years of age and have continuous lower back pain which I think is not responding to the medications and conservative management. Normally at this age, conservative management in the form of anti-inflammatory medications, intensive phy...  Read Full

Please suggest treatment for candidal balanitis.

Query: Hi, I am suffering from balanitis since last month. I am using an antifungal cream (candid B) to avoid it. Till the time I use antifungal cream all rashes/infection disapper, but once I stop applying the cream all symptoms start again.  Sympoms are: Red skin around head of penis and itchiness aft...  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you ever been diagnosed by a doctor because balanitis has several other causes as well and fungal infection is one of them. Get a fasting and post prandial blood sugar done and please send me a few details: Have you noticed any swellings in your groin area ? Do you ...  Read Full

I am having heel pain and inflammation from stepping on a nail head.Is this due to a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments?

Query: Hello doctor, I stepped on the head of a nail a week ago. Now, every time I step on that part of my heel, I get this sharp, searing and burning feeling. Is this a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments? What happened? Thank you for giving me an audience; it's extremely appreciated.  Read Full >>

Dr. Aamir Mohd
Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello and welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for contacting us. You should put a warm bandage around your heel. In the picture you sent us, I was able to observe the swelling. You need to take some anti-inflammatory medications, which will help with the inflammation and pain.   I would advise you ...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.