Phimosis is a condition where the foreskin of the penis is tight and cannot be pulled back. It is normal in uncircumcised boys, but resolves with age. It is of concern if there is pain and swelling during urination or erection. If an infection develops, it is advisable to consult a urologist. The doctor may treat it with a steroid cream or may suggest going for a circumcision.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have hard lump under the penis shaft. Is it smegma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 84 kg. My medical history includes psoriasis, hyperuricemia and essential primary hypertension. I am taking Cilacar 10 mg (Cilnidipine) one tablet daily after dinner at 9 PM for hypertension. For psoriasis I am applying Propygenta...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan. G

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I think the lumps that you able to feel are nothing but smegmoliths. These are nothing but concretions of smegma, if not cleaned for a long time. Are you able to retract your foreskin completely? If you cannot, then you may be having phimosis, which can be managed by c...  Read Full »

How should I handle a sensitive penis with a tight foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a tight foreskin issue. Somehow with the help of lubricants like coconut oil, I am able to have intercourse. However, my penis is very sensitive. Is there any way to handle it? Kindly advise.   Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. You have phimosis. I suggest the below treatment plan: Ointment Lobate GM (Clobetasol, Neomycin, and Miconazole) for local application. Tablet Zerodol P (Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) for pain. Consult a specialist doctor, talk to ...  Read Full »

I am having phimosis and sensitive glans for many years. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I am in my early twenties and I have phimosis, which is a tight foreskin that I am not able to retract down fully, and sensitive glans. I am fully able to retract it down on a flaccid penis but when the penis is erect, then it retracts only halfway. The glans is painful to touch. I have no...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Phimosis is a common condition, but phimosis is always examined and diagnosed in a flaccid penis, and not in an erected penis. In normal human anatomy, skin retraction will be difficult in the erected penis, but that does not mean you have phimosis. For confirmation of t...  Read Full »

I have phimosis and why am I unable to retract during erection?

Query: Hi doctor,I have phimosis and I am unable to retract during erection. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhav

Answer: Hello,Welcome to is always defined as a condition of the foreskin in a flaccid and non-erected penis. As normal anatomy of body, it is always difficult to retract the foreskin in an erected penis compared to a flaccid penis. For mild phimosis, steroid ointment can be applied to ...  Read Full »

The tip of my foreskin has been itching for the past few days. Why am I unable to retract the foreskin?

Query: Hi doctor,The tip of my foreskin has been itching for the past few days, and I cannot retract it. As a result, I feel pain and discomfort during erection. This issue happened to me when I was 19 years old. Is it phimosis or infection? Kindly prescribe me medications.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi,Welcome to symptoms are suggestive of fungal infection. It occurs due to sexual contact or using public toilets. I suggest applying Canesten cream (Clotrimazole) thrice daily for a week (consult with a doctor, talk with him or her and use medicines with their consent).  Read Full »

My foreskin is stuck, and I feel pain on pulling back. Why?

Query: Hi, My foreskin is stuck, and it is not going down. If I try to pull it down, it causes pain and rashes. I am a diabetic person and currently under medication for diabetes.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. This condition is called phimosis, and treatment options are medical and surgical. So let us start with medical treatment. Here are my suggestions for you- 1. You can apply a steroidal cream like Betnovate 1 % (Betametha...  Read Full »

I am a 19-year-old male, having a slight tight foreskin and a sensitive penis head. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 19-year-old male. I have two queries,1. I think my foreskin is a little bit tighter than others. I can pull it back, but still, it is a little tight than normal. So, are there any chances it may loosen naturally or any methods to loosen it? I do not want to have a circumcision.2....  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Following is my opinion on your question. If you cannot easily retract the foreskin over the glans, then phimosis could be possible. I suggest you visit a nearby dermatologist or surgeon for an examination of the penis, and then steroid cream can be prescribed, whic...  Read Full »

I cannot retract my foreskin completely and believe that I have phimosis. Will it cause a problem during sexual intercourse?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have phimosis. I am unable to retract my foreskin completely. At maximum, while backing it up, I can only see the tip of a diameter of 2 to 3 centimeters. I can masturbate without any issue, slow or fast, no issue. I am just worried about my sexual intercourse. Will that lead...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, that is phimosis, and treatment requires Hydrocortisone cream to be applied twice daily for six weeks. After two weeks, you can gradually start retraction and complete retraction until after six weeks. The cream's name is Betnovate (Betamethasone), and it is widel...  Read Full »

My foreskin got swollen after using the penis pump. Will it return to normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I used a penis pump a few moments ago, and my foreskin got swollen after using it. Now, it looks like the entire penis has got swollen. I think all of this happened due to the penis pump. Will it cause any trouble, and will the penis become normal again?  Read Full »

Dr. Varunbabu Aucha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I request you send an image of the penis because it is swollen, so I need to look at it. I can not comment without looking at the image. Please send the image quickly and consult a nearby doctor.   Read Full »

My son is 13 years old and has phimosis. Should I use a steroid cream for it?

Query: Hello doctor, My son has phimosis on his penis. He is 13 years old. Should I buy phimosis steroid cream for him and start the treatment now, or wait until he is at a specific age to start treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. Saadia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, if you are sure it is phimosis, you can buy the steroid cream available over-the-counter (OTC) and apply it daily as it helps reduce inflammation and soften the skin, thus helping relieve the symptoms. If you do not see any improvement, see a doctor for a thorough...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.