Q. I have pink rash on the side of my nose that gets worsened in sunlight. What could it be?

Published on Nov 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

I have had a red/pink rash on the side of my nose for about a year and a half now. It is on the bridge of my nose. It gets better at times, but most of the time it is prominent. It also usually gets better when I am in a cool environment and worse when I am in a hot climate or in sunlight.

I used to take allergy pills every day for about two years and then I noticed the rash, so I stopped pretty much completely for about a month. It seemed to get worse and again I started taking them for another 3 months probably. It had no effect on the rash and I stopped completely and I have not taken a pill for almost three months. Does this sound like a reaction to the pill or is it something else?

The rash also burns and so I know when it flares up. The rest of my face seems to have gotten a little more inflamed but it might be my imagination. I am a 22 year old male. My height is 5'11" and I weigh 160 lbs. I have tried everything to get rid of it. Please help.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

After carefully reading your history I came to a conclusion that there are two possibilities of your rash.

Drug reaction:

• It can mimic like anything and can remain up to 3 to 5 months and then subside as the drug gets cleared from the body.

Photoallergic dermatitis:

• The symptoms which you have mentioned, that it is aggravated in presence of sunlight is going in favour of photodermatitis.
  • Its persisting nature is going in favour of it.
  • The presence of rash in sun exposed area is going in favour of it.
  • Since you have not mentioned the other areas affected, I can just make an assumption of it being not present in relatively sun protected area like buttocks and abdomen.
  • The burning nature is also going in favour of it as normal allergic reactions usually itch and do not burn.

I would advise you take Prednisolone 40 mg in tapering doses and sunscreen with at least 50 spf, thrice daily at 8 AM,11 AM AND 2 PM, with 2.5 finger tip unit (one finger tip unit is the amount of ointment expelled from a tube with a nozzle of 5 mm diameter, from the skin crease that is closest to the end of the finger, to the tip of the index finger) for at least face.

Consult a dermatologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I need your suggestions on which sunscreen to use.

Query: Hi doctor, I am in a little trouble. Summer has started where I live, and I am addicted to playing cricket, whatever the weather or climate be. From last two weeks, I have noticed that my face color has become darker due to the sun. So, I am a little confused about which sunblock cream to use. I ne...  Read Full »

I am just fed up with my dark complexion. Please prescribe me some skin whitening product.

Query: Hello Doctor, I am just fed up with my dark complexion. Please prescribe me some skin whitening product.  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a face wash, sunscreen lotion and overnight cream for oily skin.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old boy and my face is very oily during summer while in winters it is quite dry. In summers, a lot of oil pops out with white heads on my face. Even a short-term sun exposure tans my skin. I am also suffering from the problem of dark spots. Kindly suggest a face wash, su...  Read Full »