Phototherapy

Why is my baby's bilirubin levels fluctuating even after 96 hours of phototherapy?

Query: Dear doctor, My 18 day old baby had gone for 96 hours of phototherapy. Her total bilirubin is fluctuating from 19.5, 14.5, 13.5, 13, 11, again 14 in 12 days. What can be done now?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before advising you about the child, I need some information: What are the blood groups of baby and mother? What was the birth weight of the baby? Was the baby born at term or preterm? Bilirubin may fluctuate during the treatment with phototherapy and the level ...  Read Full »

How is vitiligo on lips treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has vitiligo on her lower lip. It came to our notice this year, and we consulted a doctor immediately. The doctor gave Dicaris 150 mg to be taken on the weekends of every week for four months. She finished 32 Dicaris tablets so far. She also used Melbild lotion at night and s...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate you going at length in explaining me the exact medicine regimen. You are well in time and not late, so do not worry. I normally give tablet Azathioprine taking into consideration the weight factor. After the stabilization has been achieved in about a coupl...  Read Full »

What is your suggestion about bilirubin level 15.36 in a 9 days old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, Our baby boy was born 9 days ago. Mom and the infant, both have B plus blood group. His weight at the time of birth was 3.03 kg. After five days, his bilirubin level was 13.06. Today, the bilirubin level was 15.36. Our doctor advised vitamin D3 oral dose for one year. What is your sugg...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Your child is now 9 days old. Since, both mother and child have same blood group, there are less chances of pathological hyperbilirubinemia. On the 9th day of life, the bilirubin level of 15.36 does not require phototherapy and only repeat...  Read Full »

My newborn has a bilirubin level of 9.1. Is it a cause for concern?

Query: Hello doctor,My baby is 48 hours old now. Her bilirubin level is 9.1. Is it a cause for concern?  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will need more details to analyze the report. What was birth weight? Full-term baby or preterm baby? Blood group of mother and baby?Usually, for a full-term baby with birth weight more than 3 kg, mother blood is not Rh negative or O Rh negative, it is considered n...  Read Full »

My 12 days old son's bilirubin level keeps increasing. What is going on?

Query: Hi doctor, I am really concerned with the bilirubin levels of my 12 days old son. His bilirubin was 14.2 within 24 hours of his birth, so the doctor decided to start phototherapy, which reduced the bilirubin level to 12 and he got discharged. After a day, he turned pale yellow, so we rushed again to...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are upset with your baby's condition. Your baby has ABO incompatibility (mother O and baby A blood group) induced exaggerated NNJ (neonatal jaundice). It is a condition where there will be an excessive breakdown of baby's red blood cells than compa...  Read Full »

Please suggest some treatment for vitiligo.

Query: Hello doctor, I have vitiligo on my face, and my skin and hair are turning white. This is a major problem for me. Please suggest some treatment. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For vitiligo, there are many lines of management. If the patch is unstable, then oral medications can be advised. But if the vitiligo patch is stable, that is no change in the size of the patch over six months, then surgery can be done to re-pigment the viti...  Read Full »

Is Hb level of 22 normal in newborn?

Query: Hi doctor,This is regarding my friend's daughter. The baby is 7 days old. Initially, we were reported that the baby had jaundice. She was on phototherapy for two days and was declared normal. Now, her hemoglobin level is 22. Her father's Hb level is 17. Is hemoglobin level 22 normal in newborn? We a...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, hemoglobin of 22 is definitely on the higher side. It can cause complications like hypoglycemia and sluggish blood flow to vital organs. A partial exchange transfusion is required in which a small amount of blood will be withdrawn from the baby and will be replace...  Read Full »

Please check my son's bilirubin report and advise us.

Query: Hi doctor, I just want you to check the report of my son, who is 3 days old. Kindly check the report and tell me about his health. Is everything fine in the report?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. I have seen the report that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity).  Today is day 4 of your child and bilirubin total is 8.7 mg/dL and indirect bilirubin is 8.2 mg/dl. This is slightly higher in this age and the ch...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest the right action for my skin disease.

Query: Hello doctor, I had red, scaly patches all over my body. I consulted a doctor and he said it as Pityriasis rosea. I took treatment for a month, but I guess they are enlarged. Now, I have completely stopped medicines. I took Averzine 25, L-Cet 5 mg, applied Propynate, Clobivax and Galderma. Another d...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your investigation reports and they are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have seen your images and it is psoriasis only. Yes, a skin biopsy should be done to have documentation for the future. It is a very small procedure...  Read Full »

My newborn baby was found to have high bilirubin. Kindly advice.

Query: Hi doctor,Our newborn baby was found to have serum bilirubin 20 and direct 18 on the 4th day. Kindly suggest appropriate advice. If we are going for photo therapy, then which light is better?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Serum bilirubin of 20 is high for the baby. The value of 18 mg/dL should be indirect bilirubin, because indirect bilirubin is increased in most cases. If direct bilirubin is so much, then the treatment is different. If it is indirect biliru...  Read Full »