Q. What can be done to get rid of redness from a dead eye?

Dr. Sankaran Mathangee

The patient has blindness in the left eye for the past 35 years. He never removed the eye and kept it for aesthetic reasons. Three weeks ago, the eye started to show redness, and it now looks like it will require surgery. He lives in a third-world country and needs a doctor's professional opinion.

#

I looked at your photos (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). It looks like your eye is phthisical (non-functional).

There might be multiple reasons for the pain in that eye, either raised pressure due to new vessel formation or an infection in the eye. It happens in a lot of phthisical eyes. Whatever the reason might be, there are two options: one is the retrobulbar injection of alcohol to destroy the nerve and stop the pain, another option and a better one is to remove the eye (enucleation or evisceration). Due to progress in the field, we have good implants and prostheses that can be kept for cosmetic purposes (no vision provided), which will look almost like the normal eye.

If the pressure is high and it is the case of pain, another option is a cyclodiode laser, but I do not know if that option is available in your country.

Anyway, the doctor will have to investigate before he can inform the options. You might need some scans. The earlier you visit the doctor, the earlier he will be pain-free. It would be helpful to pinpoint the case if I know the reason for his blindness.

I would suggest you go to visit an ophthalmologist and go in for the latter option. Though a difficult choice to make, it is a safer and more effective one.

I hope this answer helps you.

Thank you for your detailed answer.

He has no pain at all in his eye. The worry comes from the eye becoming red, as it never turned this color in the past 35 years. I wondered if there was something we could do to get rid of the red color from his dead eye? Would the options be the same? Are there any medications that we could use on that eye to improve the situation?

#

Redness is due to the condition of the eye, and we cannot get rid of it.

It would be better if you have an in-person check with the ophthalmologist. However, as the redness may be due to various reasons, as stated above hence a checkup will only tell the reason.

Depending on that, we can see if any medication will work for him or not.

For now, I suggest Systane ultra (Polyethylene glycol and Propylene glycol) or Refresh tears eye drops (Carboxymethylcellulose) every two hours for that eye till you meet the ophthalmologist.

I hope this answer helps you.

|