Q. Is it fine to undergo root canal treatment to remove a cyst in the root?

Dr. Prerna Jain
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 07, 2019

I have a cyst on the root of a upper incisor. My dentist has sent me to the dental hospital, but they have said that they would not do anything, and to either have the tooth removed or see a specialist. Can my dentist do a normal root canal to remove the cyst, and why has he sent me to dental hospital in the first place? Incisor teeth are not that difficult to do root canal treatment, and so why would I need to see a specialist to do the root canal work?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

A cyst on your tooth means it is a chronic infection. You may be asymptomatic. In severe cases, a tooth may need to removed along with the cyst. However, it is possible (depending on the size, location, etc. of the cyst as seen on x-ray) to do a root canal along with cyst enucleation with endodontic root-end filling. After successful endodontic treatment, the tooth needs to be given a crown as well. These are complex procedures that require the care of a specialist, endodontist. You must consult a specialist. A general dentist might not be trained for this complicated procedure. You can get a follow-up consultation for the same by sending in your pictures and x-ray.

IOPA

I feel a pressure on my gum if I press the area. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,When I press the area on my face under my right nostril, I get a pressure on my upper gum inside my mouth which hurts real bad. When I do not press on it, my right front tooth hurts, like a toothache or pressure.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might have an abscess or a cyst. You need to see a dentist for a visual and physical examination. It needs to be ascertained whether there is any cavity or an abscess related to any front teeth using an X-ray as soon as possible. For more information consult a dent...  Read Full

Is there a chance for cyst formation beneath the impacted tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30-year-old male. I had a baby tooth in the left lower jaw. Beneath it, there is an impacted first permanent premolar tooth. OPG and CBCT were taken. The baby tooth was extracted before a month, and the impacted tooth was exposed. As I had some misalignment in both the jaws, I con...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tinu Thampy
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You do not have a cyst formation associated with the impacted tooth according to the images. In some cases, by orthodontic treatment, the tooth can be exposed, and they are brought to a...  Read Full

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full