Q. Can excessive computer exposure cause dry eyes?

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

Hi doctor, I am using artificial tear drops during the day and an artificial tear gel in the night before going to bed for dry eyes. In most of the days, I feel a lot better, however, one day or another I have the same symptoms or watery eyes and redness and minor blurred vision. This happens with the left eye. However, I also have redness on the other one. These symptoms started very mildly and then started to get worse. Currently I am using Risperidone. Some things I would like you to know are I have been spending 8-9 hours in front of my computer in the last 3-4 years. I also use my smartphone to play games and read emails. I feel a lot better when I spend only 2-3 hours on the computer on the previous day. I also have mild redness during the day, if I am at a computer screen for 1-2 hours without interruption. I have been diagnosed with rhinitis too. 

My questions are can my problem be caused by a cumulative and excessive computer exposure without often breaks and for the last 3-4 years? If yes, what is your recommendation for improving? I am finishing my PhD in thesis, and I would like to use the computer. If not, what else could be the cause of my dry eyes? Also, the last time when I had conjunctivitis, an optometrist detected a spot in my cornea on a slit lamp examination and 10 hours later, I was diagnosed with a corneal infiltrate due to an eye infection by a general doctor. Can corneal infiltrates show as spots on a slit lamp examination? Is it possible that I have these symptoms much more intense on the left eye? I have a higher uncorrected eye myopia and astigmatism in the same.

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

It is very good to know that you have improved drastically.

• Yes, continuous computer use can cause dry eyes, redness and irritation. Yes, higher power on left eye can add to your problems.
  • It can be due to eye fatigue and tiredness due to continuous reading. Just use correctly prescribed glasses.
  • Do eye exercises like rotation and focusing on the tip of the thumb and moving it near and close for 5 minutes twice a day.
  • Also if you are using computer, keep minimum brightness and maintain 40 cm distance.
  • Blink the eyes as frequently as possible. Close eyes for 10 to 15 seconds every 5 minutes. This will relax your eyes and decrease the dry eye syndrome. You can also use anti-reflective coating glasses.
  • Also important point in your case is history of infection or conjunctivitis.
  • Infiltration cause spots or opacities on cornea and decrease its transparency. This old viral conjunctivitis could add to your eye irritation and dryness.
  • You can continue the same treatment and precautions as mentioned above.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|