Q. The lesion on my calf is bruising. Is it a serious issue?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

A lesion on my calf is bruising. My GP said it was only worrying because I am 20 and very healthy. I have been trying to get an appointment for it to be looked at since the summer and it was cancelled last week because of COVID-19. As I was becoming increasingly worried and my GP said it might have been vascular, I got in touch with a doctor who kindly saw me for free and confirmed that it was not vascular and that I would need a biopsy to determine what the issue was. As I am unsure when my NHS appointment will be next. I wanted to get an opinion on the urgency of this matter.

#

I have gone through your case. Your lesions on the calf are part of Schamberg's disease of pigmented purpuric dermatosis. It occurs when due to some reasons like prolonged standing, blood accumulates in lower limbs and there in vessels pressure increases, and they get rupture, and tiny blood gathers in the skin, and it gives these bruises like lesions.

There could be other reasons as well, in addition, to prolong standing like a thin skin. These are benign lesions but could be recurrent. So nothing to get worried about for it. But keep on monitoring on a monthly basis. Avoid prolonging standing.

Keep your legs a little bit elevated by keeping pillows underneath your legs. Apply Hydrocortisone cream two times a day if you suffer itching.

I am 20 years old and fit, and it is continuously getting larger and darker. Do you have any more recommendations on what I should do to avoid this getting worse?

#

Try wearing pressure stockings. In prolonging standing, blood accumulates in the lower limbs due to gravity. If you wear pressure stockings, then it will help the blood to move upwards.

Moreover, when you stand, try to keep on moving your toes and legs after every few minutes. This will also help in blood circulation. Yes, it develops even in healthy individuals.

|