Pituitary Adenoma

Can the mass around pituitary in a pregnant woman be cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 36 years old and pregnant. I have been experiencing more headaches in the last several weeks. I had an MRI (non-contrast) yesterday and it stated that I have a mass around the pituitary. I am very scared. The doctor today said I can have no further tests until after I deliver the chil...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, there is pituitary mass known as a pituitary adenoma (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there are hormonal studies you can go for: S. growth hormone level, S. IGF, S. prolactin, S.TSH, FT3, FT4, S. ACTH, S. cortisol. But the values of these horm...  Read Full »

What does my MRI for abnormal prolactin level indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I had abnormal prolactin level and I did MRI. They found enlarged heterogeneous pituitary gland with two areas of heterogeneity. One measuring 5 mm on the left and one on the right measuring almost 8 mm. They are indeterminate but certainly could represent the microadenomas given clini...  Read Full »

Dr. Binish Khan

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Indeed you are having a pituitary microadenoma as the size is less than 10 mm. And recurrence rate is 10 to 50 % after surgical removal. So, medical therapy is preferred such as Dopamine agonist Bromocriptine. The patients resistant to Bromocriptine are given Cabergo...  Read Full »

Is treatment possible for pituitary macroadenoma with Cabergoline alone?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from abnormal growth of pituitary gland. The doctors were saying that my prolactin and growth hormone level is quite high. They suggested me for surgery. I was afraid for surgery. Then they said to take medicine Cabergolin 0.5 mg two tablets twice a week for three months....  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your detailed query and gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have hyperprolactinemia and raised IGF -1 which are being treated with Cabergoline. I would advise you to ...  Read Full »

Can you interpret MRI reports post pituitary macroadenoma surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, This query is regarding my husband's health. Three months back, my husband underwent surgery for pituitary macroadenoma. He was advised Hisone steroid tablet for three months. But he has a headache on and off. He has gained 9 kg in three months, though he eats very little. Yesterday, w...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neurologist, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity) does not show a residual or recurrent tumor as per what you have written as part of the MRI report. Hisone (Hydrocortisone) is a steroid supplement for hormonal imbalance which may occur after pituitary surger...  Read Full »

My husband has forgotten to carry his medicines during travel. Will he be fine?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband underwent a surgery for pituitary macroadenoma. He is under medication. He is taking Histone tablet and the dosage is 10-5-5 (mg). He is advised to continue this for three months. But, he has gained a weight of 10 kg in the last month. Also, he complains that he has severe...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. The weight gain could be related to a hormonal imbalance. For this reason, I would recommend checking his pituitary gland hormones again: ACTH (adrenocortical tropic hormone). TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). FSH (foll...  Read Full »

Is pituitary adenoma life-threatening?

Query: Hello doctor, I got an MRI done due to severe headaches, and I was diagnosed with pituitary adenoma. So, I consulted a neurosurgeon, who suggested some scans. Everything was normal according to him. He later said that the tumor is tiny almost 1 cm, and he asked me to wait and see. If any problem pe...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the tumor is smaller than 1 cm and all your hormonal tests are normal, then serial observation is the preferred treatment. In these cases, no surgery is needed. Mild headaches may not be related to the adenoma. Kindly follow the advice of your treating neurosurgeo...  Read Full »