Q. Can you interpret MRI reports post pituitary macroadenoma surgery?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

This query is regarding my husband's health. Three months back, my husband underwent surgery for pituitary macroadenoma. He was advised Hisone steroid tablet for three months. But he has a headache on and off. He has gained 9 kg in three months, though he eats very little. Yesterday, we took the third month follow up MRI scan and I wanted to share below findings in the MRI report.

1. Post-operative changes noted in sphenoid sinus and sellar fossa.
  2. Pituitary stalk mildly deviated to the left side.
  3. No evidence of enhancing residual and recurrent tumor seen.
  4. Polypoidal mucosal thickening noted in bilateral maxillary, ethmoidal, and right frontal sinuses.

Also when I look at the scan films, near the pituitary gland few residual part of the tumor is seen. I am requesting you to have a look at my query and respond me how the report looks like. I am more anxious to know about this. Please help me to understand the current status of my husband's health.

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

The MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity) does not show a residual or recurrent tumor as per what you have written as part of the MRI report.

Hisone (Hydrocortisone) is a steroid supplement for hormonal imbalance which may occur after pituitary surgery.

The so-called 'residual tumour' which you have interpreted, may be postoperative changes which is common after pituitary surgery.

If the four points that you have written is what was written on the report, then you should not worry. Meet your operating surgeon for further advice regarding Hisone which may cause weight gain. Best wishes.

For more information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

|