Q. Can you interpret MRI reports post pituitary macroadenoma surgery?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

This query is regarding my husband's health. Three months back, my husband underwent surgery for pituitary macroadenoma. He was advised Hisone steroid tablet for three months. But he has a headache on and off. He has gained 9 kg in three months, though he eats very little. Yesterday, we took the third month follow up MRI scan and I wanted to share below findings in the MRI report.

1. Post-operative changes noted in sphenoid sinus and sellar fossa.
  2. Pituitary stalk mildly deviated to the left side.
  3. No evidence of enhancing residual and recurrent tumor seen.
  4. Polypoidal mucosal thickening noted in bilateral maxillary, ethmoidal, and right frontal sinuses.

Also when I look at the scan films, near the pituitary gland few residual part of the tumor is seen. I am requesting you to have a look at my query and respond me how the report looks like. I am more anxious to know about this. Please help me to understand the current status of my husband's health.

#

The MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity) does not show a residual or recurrent tumor as per what you have written as part of the MRI report.

Hisone (Hydrocortisone) is a steroid supplement for hormonal imbalance which may occur after pituitary surgery.

The so-called 'residual tumour' which you have interpreted, may be postoperative changes which is common after pituitary surgery.

If the four points that you have written is what was written on the report, then you should not worry. Meet your operating surgeon for further advice regarding Hisone which may cause weight gain. Best wishes.

For more information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

| 

Is the lump in breast cancer or cyst?

Query: Hello doctor, I found a lump in my breast five months back. Initially, it was told to be a cyst. I followed up after four weeks, and the cyst was unchanged. My PCP recommended a needle biopsy to be safe. My surgeon felt more comfortable with lumpectomy because I have a family history of thyroid tum...  Read Full »

What is Daktacort cream used for?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a fungal infection on my penis for a month or so now. I saw my GP and was prescribed Daktarin cream, and the symptoms decreased significantly. However, I recently run out, and I experienced dry skin again. I was prescribed Daktacort cream this time, however, it says not to be...  Read Full »

What are the ways a neurosurgeon can get access to someone's brain?

Query: Hello doctor, What are the ways a neurosurgeon can get to someone's brain? Along those lines, what does a person typically experience after having their skull opened or a bone flap?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now