Q. What is the mass around the pituitary in a pregnant woman?

Dr. Prakashkumar P.Bhatt

I am 36 years old and pregnant. I have been experiencing more headaches in the last several weeks. I had an MRI (non-contrast) yesterday and it stated that I have a mass around the pituitary. I am very scared. The doctor today said I can have no further tests until after I deliver the child (which is four months away). I am concerned if it could be cancer. Is there a way to know more diagnosis without jeopardizing the baby? What are the chances it is cancer? Is there anything I can do holistically?

Do you have a question on Pituitary Adenoma or Growth Hormone?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Prakashkumar P.Bhatt

MBBS., DNB INTERNAL MEDICINE., DNB NEUROLOGY
General Medicine Internal Medicine Neurology

Yes, there is pituitary mass known as a pituitary adenoma (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there are hormonal studies you can go for:

S. growth hormone level, S. IGF, S. prolactin, S.TSH, FT3, FT4, S. ACTH, S. cortisol. But the values of these hormones would be altered due to the effect of pregnancy. But I am reassuring you that it is not cancer, it is benign pituitary mass, increased in size during pregnancy and causing headache and visual trouble.

Just complete your pregnancy without worrying about it, if your headache is severe and visual symptoms starts then we will think of neurosurgical opinion. Just wait and watch, it is not an emergency except your health worsens.

Can low dose of human growth hormone lead to type 2 diabetes?
Query: Hi doctor, I have prediabetes (5.8 fasting blood glucose). Can low doses of human growth hormone used for bodybuilding lead to type 2 diabetes? My mother has type 2 diabetes mellitus.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. 5.8 mg/dL of glucose is too low. Prediabetes is fasting blood glucose between 110 to 126 mg/dL and above it is frank diabetes. Type 2 diabetes cannot be caused by small or large doses of human growth hormone. Type 2 diabetes is autoimmune in nature and it is mostly geneti...  Read Full

I have PCOS, and my prolactin level is 42, what does it mean?
Query: Hello doctor,I have PCOS, and my recent report says that prolactin level is 42, what does it mean? Otherwise, my period is normal.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The serum prolactin levels are high, which indicate hyperprolactinemia. This can cause hypomenorrhoea or shortened menses even though the cycles may be regular. The PCOD (polycystic ovarian syndrome) element further adds to insulin resistance and putting on weight. T...  Read Full

Kindly explain the growth hormone test report of a child with short stature.
Query: Hi doctor, Following is the growth hormone test report of my son aged 11 years and 7 months and his height is about 129 cm and weight is 32 kg. I am very concerned about his growth. Please comment in detail about the possible treatment and their side effects, if any?  Read Full >>
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your report about your son and I am sorry to say that he has a growth hormone deficiency (attachment removed to protect patient identity). He needs to take growth hormone injections for it. These are to be taken on a proper prescription from a pediatric e...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now