Pituitary Tumor

Will pituitary tumor cause excessive anger and anxiety attack?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old girl having a 1 cm large tumor in my pituitary gland and I am medicated with Caberlin 0.5 once in a week. Besides this, something that worries me is excessive anger issues accompanied by anxiety and panic attacks past the last six months. I lose my temper in a jiff ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have provided a detailed and insightful description of symptoms troubling you. You are reporting excessive anger, anxiety, panic attacks, self-injurious behavior for the past six months or so. These symptoms can occur in anyone, more common in people having hi...  Read Full »

Why am I having high prolactin level?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like help in understanding my situation and a second opinion to that of my GP. I had a blood test two months back which showed serum prolactin levels at 618. I was unaware what the test was for so breastfed before and during the blood being taken. I breastfeed a toddler betwe...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. To get rid you of your worries, I should let you know the usual level of prolactin in different conditions. The upper limit of normal for many assays of serum prolactin is approximately 500 mIU/L (24 ng/mL). In non-pregnant and non-lactating patients, monomeric prolacti...  Read Full »

I have gained weight and I have high cortisol level. Do I have Cushing's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with hypothyroidism and polycystic ovaries. Over last three years, I have gained 15 kg of weight. I am taking T4 150 mg, Glucophage 850 mg and Yasmin. I think I have Cushing's syndrome. My cortisol level in blood is 34 in the morning but in 24 hour urine test it is in norma...  Read Full »

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There may be three possibilities. Either your polycystic ovarian syndrome and hypothyroidism are two separate disorders or it may be a pituitary or autoimmune disease which affects many organs. When did you last check your thyroid levels? If it is too low, then you...  Read Full »

What is the use of PET scan?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to get an opinion about my PET scan. I have attached my PET scan report for your reference.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A PET scan (positron emission tomography) is a scan in which a radioisotope substance is injected and in most cases tagged glucose is given to the patient. This glucose gets concentrated in areas where there is increased consumption and therefore it is seen as increased d...  Read Full »

In what conditions can a person have cyclical Cushing's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years now. I weigh 60 kg and was diagnosed with cyclical Cushing's syndrome at the age of 20. I had an MRI scan for a pituitary tumor in my brain. But, the clinical findings did not match up. I went to a top end endocrinologist who is a professor in endocrinology. I have beard ...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no other pituitary in the brain and sometimes urinary test fails to detect hormones. In cyclical Cushing's, the cortisol levels fluctuate over time, making the diagnosis even more difficult. The source of ectopic hormone production should be searched for, o...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have a headache following pituitary tumor surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My son had granules of the pituitary gland, and it was removed through the nose by surgery around a month ago. Now, he is getting an occasional headache when he goes out in the sun and when meals delayed. He has a history of a severe headache, and it has not improved with the drugs of a ...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Although headaches are common after pituitary gland tumor, the presence of on and off headaches after one month of surgery indicates more possibility of continuing migraine rather than surgery. This is evidenced by trigge...  Read Full »

My prolactin levels are high,I am scared of an MRI.What do I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have problem of high prolactin (PRL) since one year. As per doctor's advice I have taken medicine for one year. I had checked my prolactin levels earlier and I had done an MRI also. I have attached my previous and current reports (prolactin levels and MRI) and prescription. I had...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, why do you get scared of MRI scan? MRI is just a non-invasive scan and you need not be afraid of getting it done. I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and your previous MRI scan says that there is a microadenoma in you...  Read Full »

Can you interpret MRI reports post pituitary macroadenoma surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, This query is regarding my husband's health. Three months back, my husband underwent surgery for pituitary macroadenoma. He was advised Hisone steroid tablet for three months. But he has a headache on and off. He has gained 9 kg in three months, though he eats very little. Yesterday, w...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neurologist, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity) does not show a residual or recurrent tumor as per what you have written as part of the MRI report. Hisone (Hydrocortisone) is a steroid supplement for hormonal imbalance which may occur after pituitary surger...  Read Full »

I do not have any symptoms, then why is my prolactin level high and testosterone level low?

Query: Hello doctor, My doctor wants me to get an MRI after my blood work. I wanted to get a second opinion, and I have attached my blood results. My prolactin is 20.4 (above normal), total testosterone is 269.3 (below normal), free testosterone is 8.9 (normal), FSH is 3.7 (normal), LH is 2.9 (normal). I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query. See, your prolactin levels are high. There are only two reasons for that: Problems in the testes. Problems in the pituitary gland located in the brain. Now your endocrinologist wants to know if there is any pituitary problem, which is causin...  Read Full »

Is pituitary adenoma life-threatening?

Query: Hello doctor, I got an MRI done due to severe headaches, and I was diagnosed with pituitary adenoma. So, I consulted a neurosurgeon, who suggested some scans. Everything was normal according to him. He later said that the tumor is tiny almost 1 cm, and he asked me to wait and see. If any problem pe...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the tumor is smaller than 1 cm and all your hormonal tests are normal, then serial observation is the preferred treatment. In these cases, no surgery is needed. Mild headaches may not be related to the adenoma. Kindly follow the advice of your treating neurosurgeo...  Read Full »