Q. What is the use of PET scan?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I would like to get an opinion about my PET scan. I have attached my PET scan report for your reference.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

• A PET scan (positron emission tomography) is a scan in which a radioisotope substance is injected and in most cases tagged glucose is given to the patient. This glucose gets concentrated in areas where there is increased consumption and therefore it is seen as increased density areas.
  • In your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) there is increased signal in the brain, liver, spine, kidneys and urinary bladder. It is important to know your detailed medical history to interpret the distribution of the glucose on the PET scan.
  • In some areas like brain, kidneys and urinary bladder there is a natural tendency to show increased signal in the PET scan. Please do write back with more detailed information about your medical problem.

Revert back with the detailed medical history to a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

| 

I have a pituitary tumor which grew and changes the shape quickly. This is the reason why I was sent for the PET scan. I have also attached more pictures. I have a lot of body pain (fibromyalgia), secondary adrenal insufficiency due to the pituitary tumor, chronic migraine, chronic diarrhea, GERD, a couple of herniated discs in my cervical spine and cervical spine stenosis. Please guide me.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Thanks for writing back with an update.

• I do not see anything obviously wrong with the second set of pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which you have sent.
  • The pituitary is a pea size gland in the head and it is not seen separately in the pictures sent.
  • Please note that every picture has to be seen to make a comprehensive conclusion in a PET scan and it is important to know what your doctors have said on your condition after viewing all the images.
  • A few pictures of your PET scan are otherwise unremarkable and certain areas of increased signal might be due to the normal pattern followed.

For further information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

|