Q. I have a rash that is progressively getting worse. Can you help me identify it?

Dr. Meha Malhotra
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2022

I have had a rash for the past two weeks. It is getting progressively worse. It does not itch or hurt, but it is spreading. It started on my stomach. Now, it is on both arms, neck, back, and upper legs. The red dots that have been there for two weeks are larger now than they were originally. After a week from the initial onset, I got more red bumps. I also woke up feeling really ill the other morning. I had gotten adequate sleep but, had a headache in the morning, felt groggy, eyes were irritated, and my nose was running. Can you please help me identify what is wrong and what to do. I am attaching the pictures.

#

I have read your query and seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

These lesions look like pityriasis rosea. But, to be sure, I need a little more information:

1. Did one big patch appear first, followed by small patches?

2. Do you have any complaint like pain or itching?

3. Did you have any episode of cold or cough recently?

4. Did you apply anything over these lesions?

These details will help confirm the diagnosis. Until then, just apply a moisturizer over them. Do not self-medicate.

Thanks for replying. The first time I noticed it, I had multiple patches. Each of the patches has turned into more smaller bumps. There is no pain or itching. I woke up feeling like I had a cold or an allergy, the other day. I had a headache, stuffy nose, eye irritation, and felt like I had 'cold-like' symptoms. I have not applied anything over the lesions, although I put on lotion every morning. I do not take any medications except birth control.

#

Thanks for providing the details.

• I suggest the following:
  1. You can start applying Mometasone cream twice a day over the problem areas for seven days.
  2. Use a mild soap for bathing.
  3. Apply a cocoa butter based moisturizer over your body.
  4. Please send photos after seven days.
  • This problem has a course of three to four weeks. So, do not worry if the patches increase in number.

Revert earlier if you have doubts.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|