Pityriasis Rosea

I have rashes on my neck and chest with fever and joint pain. Does it indicate HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, Initially, I noticed four red rashes on my chest and neck. On the next day, I got another four rashes on my face and after two days, I got rashes on my hand and fingers. I also have mild fever and joint pain. All the symptoms have started after my treatment for herpes from a hospital. Do...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send a few good quality photographs taken in a natural light to help you better. Revert back with the photos to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full »

Kindly suggest an effective way to get cured from ringworm infection.

Query: In the spring I was diagnosed with ringworm on my right inner upper thigh. I had treated the ringworm for several weeks over the counter and ended up having to be put on Ketoconazole for 4 weeks to cure it. It cleared up before seven months. I developed another patch on my outer upper left thigh in...  Read Full »

Dr. Shama Naaz

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, welcome to icliniq, Ringworm and Pityriasis rosea both presents with red scaly round patches over skin. There is a test for getting confirmed diagnosis by mycological examination (KOH test) of the skin scrapings. Once your diagnosis is confirmed,then with specific treatment you can get cured...  Read Full »

Why are there faint red spots all over my kid's body?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter has faint red/pink flat spots all over her body. I first noticed spots on her face a few nights ago. No fever. The only other symptom she has is a wet cough. She has had a cough for two weeks and was diagnosed with tonsillitis almost two weeks ago.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With your description, I can list a few possible diagnoses. Pityriasis rosea - most likely. It is a self-limiting condition. It is a reaction of the body to viral infections, not contagious. Drug rash - may be due to Amoxicillin. Guttate psoriasis - common in c...  Read Full »

Is it true that 62 % of pregnant women with pityriasis rosea have a miscarriage?

Query: I have had pityriasis rosea (PR) for about a week and I am currently 7 weeks pregnant. I have had no other symptoms other than the rash. After reading a study which found a 62% miscarriage rate when women were infected with PR during the first 15 weeks of gestation, I am obviously terrified. Can you...  Read Full »

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Thank you for giving me opportunity to treat your skin problem. Yes, you are right there are significant chances of miscarriage if Pityriasis Rosea appears in first few weeks of gestation. Mostly miscarriage occurs when Pityriasis Rosea happens after HSV 6 & HSV 7 infection (according to litera...  Read Full »

Why do I have skin lesions on the hands and back?

Query: Hello doctor, There are skin lesions in a 29 year old female who happened to be healthy before. The lesions started to appear two weeks ago. It has now increased on hands, back and foot. There is no itching associated with it. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Has the mucosa been affected? Has it spread to other areas? Does she have any fever associated with it and taking any medication? Is there any history of recent travel or herpes infection? What is the change in appearance of the lesion during the course? How it started ...  Read Full »

I have a red circle on my back. Is it a ringworm or pityriasis rosea?

Query: Hello doctor, Two weeks ago, I noticed a small red circle on my back. I figured it could be a rash due to me using a bar of new laundry soap. However, within a few days, I noticed the same red spot on the upper part of my stomach (below my chest). When I looked to the rash in my back, it had double...  Read Full »

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, these are typical lesions of pityriasis rosea (attachment removed to protect identity). Annular plaques with scaly edges and free at the center. These are not ringworm infection because the center of lesions are filled, whereas, in ringworm, the center is bright...  Read Full »

How does pityriasis rosea affect pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a GP. I have seen my GP and he thinks I have Pityriasis rosea. I am 30 weeks pregnant and have had Pityriasis rosea as a child. My rash is currently scaly and in lines over my abdomen. My concern is about the adverse effects of this condition in pregnancy. It is hard to ascertain i...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is one of the proposed theories that Pityriasis rosea could be an exanthema secondary to HHV 6 and 7 (human herpes virus) virus infection. Most of the data available regarding PR in pregnancy is about the first trimester of pregnancy wherein HHV 6 and7 infections are k...  Read Full »

I have tiny red raised spots on my inner arms. Should go in to see a doctor about it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some tiny red spots on my inner arms. I have had it for a few days. They are slightly raised, but not much at all, and they do not itch or hurt. I do have psoriasis on my ankle, which I have had for a few months now. I also had a UTI and took antibiotics to treat it a little more ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is it one forearm or both? Is there any history of travel or stay in a new place like a hotel or camping? Is there any history of gardening, or playing outdoors? Considering the history and after seeing the clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identi...  Read Full »

The same type of rash has recurred twice in two weeks. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a red pimple-like rash or hives on the chest up to the jaw line on a 4 year old female. It turns white when pressed. It always appears after a court-ordered visitation. The only factors we know of are stress or anxiety from not wanting to go, both of those conditions were con...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send close-up photographs of the lesion. Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »

What does it mean to have red ring-like shape on inner thigh ?

Query: Hello doctor, My 8-year-old daughter has something on her skin. It started about five weeks back with a little red spot on her inner thigh. Initially, it was a bit dry inside. Later, surrounded by a ring-like shape. Now, it has become big. She got Daktarin for ringworm treatment but it did not help,...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Few rashes look like Pityriasis rosea. It is a self-limiting condition, usually seen as a reaction to viral infections, some oral medications can also precipitate Pityriasis rosea. It starts with the mo...  Read Full »