Q. Is my platelet count acceptable to go ahead for surgery?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Oct 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I am a 73 year old male and scheduled for a co-surgery. Da Vinci prostatectomy for PC and double hernia repair with patches. My platelet count is 92 x 10^3 per microliter. I have had this for over 17 years. I had a bone marrow biopsy before 16 years and also, had a recent one before 3 years. Both were negative. Everything else is in the normal range in my CBC. My PT 13.8 seconds, PT INR 1.1 and PTT 30 seconds. Is the platelet count acceptable for the procedure? Is there any risk of increasing the platelet count by infusion? Why should it be increased at all, when one of the dangers after the operation is clot formation? Could I sign a waiver, if the surgeon is reluctant to go ahead with the procedure with this platelet count? Thank you.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Yes, this platelet count is acceptable for all major procedures, except involving the central nervous system.
  • No problem should occur during surgery with this platelet count. However, if doubtful, then can go for extra platelet transfusion and a few units kept ready to transfuse on short notice.
  • Similar to any blood product, risk of infection or allergic reaction present. Nowadays, there is virtually no risk due to good screening procedures.
  • Clot formation is more related to coagulation factors than platelets and after surgery formation of blood clots inside a blood vessel or thrombus is a rare event and occurs in major surgeries with risk factors. Here, no risk should be present.
  • Yes, you can sign. All surgeries require waivers and with normal bleeding time, you can go ahead.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

Are bleeding through the nose and underskin common in Von Willebrand disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a Von Willebrand disease (vWD) type 3 patient. I am currently bleeding through my nostrils, having underskin blood spots and pain in my ankle. These symptoms are new to me. Please help.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now