Q. Can a son donate platelets to his father?

Dr. Smrita Singh
Published on Jan 09, 2018

My father is suffering from a low platelet count due to leukemia. Can I donate platelets to my father? Someone at blood bank told me that son's platelet will not increase the count to a parent. I am in search of a donor for my father.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

Platelet count is reduced in leukemia because the cells in the bone marrow produce platelets known as megakaryocytes that are replaced by the leukemic cells.

If your father is receiving chemotherapy then also all the blood counts including platelets will be reduced.

Your oncologist will give platelet and packed cell transfusions when required.

Platelets, unlike other blood cells, need not be crossmatched or typed. So platelets from any individual can be given to any individual.

It is not necessary for the donor and the recipient to be related.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

What is the cause for low platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, God blessed me with a baby boy before three months. This is my second child. I faced many problems such as diabetes, before two years back. I had low platelet counts before six months when I took a test for CBC. Three days before delivery, my platelet count was 44000 per microliter of bl...  Read Full »

Though dengue is negative, platelet count is going down with fever. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is five years old, and he was suffering from fever, headache and body pain. He also had some rashes on his face and in some parts of the hands and legs. His fever was ranging from 101 to 102.5 degrees. After a couple of days, on medication, his temperature became normal between 97...  Read Full »

Tests for dengue are negative, then why is the platelet count low?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is admitted to the hospital as his platelet count is 8000/cumm. The tests for dengue and NS1 are negative. After injection of 4 units of platelet, his platelet count is 12000/cumm. Then after administering 2 and 4 more units, the platelet count was 23000/cumm and 22000/cumm re...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now