Q. Having low platelet-8000/cumm. Testing of dengue, NS1 is negative.

Dr. Chelladurai Pandian Hariharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 04, 2018

My father is admitted to the hospital as his platelet count is 8000/cumm. The tests for dengue and NS1 are negative. After injection of 4 units of platelet, his platelet count is 12000/cumm. Then after administering 2 and 4 more units, the platelet count was 23000/cumm and 22000/cumm respectively. Is it normal?

#

This is definitely not normal. Even though dengue antigen is negative, the low platelet count gives suspicion of dengue. The line of management is on the right way. So do not worry. Once the platelet count crosses 25000, we can stop the platelet transfusion. Only frequent follow up is needed. He will recover soon.

|