Q. Please tell me about the symptoms of overdose of Podophyllin.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

I treated some HPV genital warts using cryogenic therapy, followed by applying a liberal amount of Podophyllin, which I left on overnight. Sometimes during sleep, I became very ill and agitated, had the chills and could not get warm, and when I got up I was very weak and lethargic, no appetite, nausea and diarrhea, swollen throat. I thought it was influenza since the virus is currently being transmitted locally. But upon further reading, the symptoms I am experiencing the textbook overdose of Podophyllin. It has been about 8+ hours and the symptoms have not gotten better, or worse. I washed off the affected area with soap and water with the morning shower. Is there anything else I should do to treat the symptoms, and how much longer are they expected to continue?

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

Your concern is acute systemic toxicity due to Ligans in Podophyllin most probably. Have a single dose (2 ml) of intravenous or intramuscular Pheniramine (Avil) along with a single (2 ml) dose of Dexamethasone intravenous or intramuscular by consulting a general physician nearby you. This will help in stabilizing the symptoms.

| 

What course of treatment do you recommend for future outbreaks of HPV warts?

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

Continue cryotherapy sessions once in 3 to 4 weeks until warts disappear completely. It is very safe. Along with cryotherapy start having oral Zinc supplements. This will boost up the immunity.

For Podophyllin allergy wash off the region completely once again and be under physician supervision. Usually, here we plan for IV fluids along with systemic charcoal treatment if required.

|