Polycystic Kidney Disease

Why is my blood pressure very high although tests are normal?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 19, exercise regularly and eat healthy, yet my blood pressure is always very high at the doctor. He says this is only because of my anxiety disorder. It has been as high as 168/110 before. He did a physical and CBC, thyroid, glucose, and kidney function test and they all came back ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hypertension at your age is not usual and if it is present, a few things need to be evaluated thoroughly, especially your kidneys and your adrenal glands. A renal function test will not be helpful in this case. An MRI or ultrasound of the kidneys would be required to rule...  Read Full »

Is hernia surgery advisable for a 73-year-old man with a bad medical condition?

Query: I am a VA patient. I have kidney GFR function of 37 from polycystic kidneys. bad COPD and emphysema, severe allergy. I have had a hiatal hernia for 15 years and the VA just gives me PPI meds. Now that I am 73 and in bad health they say I need a hernia operation and rebuild the valve. In my bad med...  Read Full »

Dr. Anushtup De

General Surgeon

Answer: Hii.. thanks for your query. First of all, let me tell you i didnt understand the full form of VA. But considering your and multiple comorbidities that you have, Surgery would only be considered if ypu are severly symptomatic due to hiatus hernia. If you have minimal symptoms, such as reflux or blo...  Read Full »

What could cause a spike in BP in PKD patients with regular medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57-year-old male with polycystic kidney disease. My BMI is 27, and I am a non-smoker. My creatine ~1.25, eGFR ~63. I am currently on 30 mg Lisinopril, 12.5 mg Hydrochlorothiazide daily. Most recently I changed to (6 months ago), taking 40 mg Lisinopril only and noticed bp in...  Read Full »

Dr. Pranaw Kumar Jha

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The causes of this accelerated phase could be multiple. Is there any change in dietary habit with increased salt intake? Any recent change in antihypertensive? Did you by any chance miss antihypertensive medications? Any consumption of pain killer NSAIDs (nonsteroida...  Read Full »

Do PKD patients have an urge to urinate always?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 17 years old. I was born with polycystic kidney disease. When I was 14, I was diagnosed as I was having severe chest pain and dizzy spells. I am currently four months postpartum. Since my son was born I have not been able to use the bathroom as frequently as most. It never caused me ...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

Nephrologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you are a patient of polycystic kidney disease, you will be more prone for urinary tract infections, urinary stones or cysts, which could burst and form clots, which can result in obstruction. One cannot be sure unless you get a sonography done. Since you say...  Read Full »

What does both kidney slightly hyperechoic in a fetal ultrasound indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, What does both kidney slightly hyperechoic in an ultrasound indicate? I am 19 weeks pregnant and very worried about my baby.  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hyperechogenicity in kidneys is seen in some congenital polycystic renal diseases leading to renal failure in late childhood or adulthood. But in fetuses, this marker has been studied sparsely. These studies have shown that if the amniotic fluid around the baby is adequ...  Read Full »