Q. Why does a patient with PKD have an urge to urinate always?

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I am 17 years old. I was born with polycystic kidney disease. When I was 14, I was diagnosed as I was having severe chest pain and dizzy spells. I am currently four months postpartum. Since my son was born I have not been able to use the bathroom as frequently as most. It never caused me pain or anything up until about a week ago. For the past one week, I pee once a day. I feel the urge to pee all the time, but I cannot. No matter how hard I try. The pain is entirely unbearable at this point. I drink plenty of water a day. I have even tried cranberry juice, but nothing has helped. I have put off going to the hospital for the fear of being admitted, but I cannot any longer. I want a professional's opinion, do you think I need to suck it up and go to the ER? Or is there anything I am not doing that you think might help? Please guide.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

General Medicine Internal Medicine Nephrology
#

Since you are a patient of polycystic kidney disease, you will be more prone for urinary tract infections, urinary stones or cysts, which could burst and form clots, which can result in obstruction.

One cannot be sure unless you get a sonography done.

Since you say you get urges for urinating and you cannot pass, I think you should go to emergency room (ER) and get yourself checked.

I would advise you to get a complete blood count, serum creatinine, urine routine and sonography.

Try to keep a chart of the amount of urine you pass and fluids you drink daily and a daily weight chart.

Let me know the laboratory reports. For pain, use safe painkillers like Paracetamol and Tramadol.

Revert back after the tests to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

| 

I have dull pain in my testicle. Can it be blue balls?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a dull pain in my testicle for the past three weeks. It is not very severe. I can ignore it. I have performed a TESE. I noticed no lump and no swelling. The testicles are normal to see. I am worried that it could be something serious. Can it be blue balls?  Read Full »

Simple Tips for UTI Prevention in Women

Article Overview: This article discusses the common reasons for recurrent urinary tract infections (UTI) in women and presents some easy-to-follow suggestions to avoid getting the infection in the first place. Read Article

Dr. Geethu Thomas
Urologist

Urinary tract infection is one of the most common illnesses that increases the morbidity in the patients. Females are more prone to UTI than men due to their short urethra, and it is even more so, in sexually active females, due to the trauma encountered by the urethra during the act. During ...  Read Article

What does both kidney slightly hyperechoic in a fetal ultrasound indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, What does both kidney slightly hyperechoic in an ultrasound indicate? I am 19 weeks pregnant and very worried about my baby.  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now