Polycystic Ovarian Disease

Polycystic ovarian disease causes hormonal imbalance and affects women in their childbearing years. The common symptoms include irregular periods, heavy menstruation, hair growth on face and body, acne, male-pattern baldness, headaches, weight gain, and formation of dark patches of skin.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Does taking Diane pills for polycystic ovary cause side effects?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old with the polycystic left ovary. I have been taking Diane pills (Cyproterone Acetate or EthinylEstradiol) for about three years now. I would like to ask if it is okay for long term use? I mean does it have any severe complications of side effect on prolonged use? And I t...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Diane pill is a fourth generation OCP (oral contraceptive pill), that is, an advanced generation pill. Apart from its contraceptive use, it is more often used for its wonderful non contraceptive use. As it is an OCP, it will definitely prevent pregnancy. For a young gir...  Read Full »

Transabdominal USG shows polycystic ovaries and hypoechoic fibroids. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old with two kids. I am 62 kg and 5 feet 4 inches tall. Nine months back, I had a transabdominal USG which showed polycystic ovaries (right ovary 11 mm and left ovary 7 mm). I always have periods of 2 to 3 days with cycle ranging from 30 to 40 days. I do not have heavy pe...  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since your periods are regular and there is no other period-related issue, there is nothing to worry about. Just an accidental finding of a fibroid and such tiny size is no worr...  Read Full »

Why is the DHEA level high and what does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 15 years old, and she has high levels of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone). On the first test, it was 641, and 381 on the second test. She took her test when she had periods, normal testosterone, and thyroid antibodies. She always had a deep voice and body hairs on her chest an...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your daughter. It appears that your daughter has irregular menses and hirsutism which is mostly due to polycystic ovarian disease. DHEA means dehydroepiandrosterone. The levels are usually raised in two conditions: Polycystic ovarian dis...  Read Full »

When to take a pregnancy test for the most accurate results?

Query: Hello doctor,My period cycle is usually 30 to 32 days. Today, I am on the 35th day and still have not got my periods. I took a home pregnancy test, and both were negative. Should I take a blood test? Will it be able to give me the right hCG count if I take it this week?  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya Muralidhar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no need to do a blood test now. Wait for a week. If you do not get your periods after a week, do a blood test. It could be a delayed ovulation causing delayed cycles. If pregnancy test was negative, you can get an ultrasound done to rule out causes like po...  Read Full »

I have been diagnosed with multiple follicles in the ovaries and experience severe pain. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a history of multiple follicles (20 each) on both ovaries. I have not taken any medications for that yet. I have severe pain at times that goes off only when taking Morphine. I have taken blood tests and an ultrasound.  Read Full »

Dr. Natasha Bansal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ultrasound (attachment removed to protect patient's identity) suggests a polycystic appearance of the ovaries, but having polycystic ovaries and a polycystic ovarian syndrome called PCOS is entirely different. It depends on your symptoms. Do you have any menstru...  Read Full »

Can contraceptive pills thicken ovary walls?

Query: Hi doctor, My 36 year old wife was just diagnosed with a retroverted uterus, adenomyosis, and polycystic ovaries, which are causing her severe pain. The first gynecologist told her to go on contraceptive pills for two months to rest the uterus and identify the pain, but she said that her ovaries a...  Read Full »

Dr. Meeta Airen

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, contraceptive pills cannot cause ovarian thickening. Your wife's age is 36, at which ovarian egg reserve is reduced. But, it can be determined only by doing serum AMH (anti-Mullerian hormone) and day-2 scan. If she has polycystic ovaries, then it cannot be less. You m...  Read Full »

I am 26 years old. Why are my periods irregular?

Query: Hello, I have irregular periods. Neither do I have a polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD), nor am I pregnant. I am not obese, and I do not have any medical history. I miss periods for 50 days sometimes. I am 26 years old and unmarried.  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Jain

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be due to some hormone disturbance. Do an ultrasound of the abdomen to rule out polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD). Meanwhile, take one tablet of Primolut-N (Norethisterone) twice a day for five days. Periods will occur within a few days of stopping Primol...  Read Full »

I am overweight, and I had my last period two months ago. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female who weighs 139 kg. I am concerned about my periods. I had my last period two months ago, but have not had one since then. I feel that I ovulated on time after my last period, and have basically had PMS ever since. I have very tender breasts, lower left sided a...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The problem was bound to start sooner, if not later. The reason for the absence of menstrual bleeding is due to being grossly overweight. 139 kg is something you should be concerned about. Yes, stress and anxiety can be a cause of absent cycle as well as cystic ovari...  Read Full »

With my PCOS left untreated, I am not sure how to lose weight. Any suggestions?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking birth control pills for a while to help with my hormonal imbalance. I have PCOS and it is impossible to lose weight with it. The birth control pills were treating it but gave me really high blood pressure and acne, so I stopped using it. With my PCOS being untreated...  Read Full »

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iCliniq.com, I understand your concern and feel sad to say that if you have hypertrophic deposion of fat, it is unlikely to slow down. I mean,if your body cells are large they cannot shrink, while dieting exercises and similar measures may reduce only extracellular fat deposion....  Read Full »

What is the treatment for irregular periods and weight gain?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25, married and sexually active. I suffered from PCOD for a while, took all sorts of allopathic and homeopathic medicines and when I got scanned two months ago, PCOD was not found. I thought this is the end of my problem but, still, my periods are irregular. Last time, I was la...  Read Full »

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that PCOD is not diagnosed by ultrasound.Kindly get thyroid profile, serum androsterone test, serum prolactin, serum testosterone, free androgen index, serum insulin, and fasting blood sugar test done.Start doing six sets of Surya Namaskar every day.Follow ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.