Q. My teenage sister does not have a period from almost a year. Why?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2022

My younger sister, who is 15 years and five months, had her first-period last year and again had her second period a month later. But, after that, she did not have her periods at all. We consulted a gynecologist who suggested an ultrasound. The report reveals a small uterus 53.3 by 19.9 mm. We were then referred to an endocrinologist who ordered a series of tests. She has insulin resistance. Fasting insulin level is 77. Her LH is 2.6. Her FSH is 8.6. The prolactin level is 9.6. She has vitamin D deficiency. Her SGPT and SGOT levels are elevated to 92 and 96, respectively. The doctor has prescribed Evion 400 twice daily for a month and Ovral G once a day, for ten days, and vitamin D once a week for eight weeks. I am very worried. Is the medicine correct? Will she get her periods again? Will she be able to get pregnant after she gets married? Please tell me.

#

Your sister could be having polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). It is a metabolic problem that is quite common these days. This is not a disease related to only the ovaries but the whole metabolism of the body.

This usually manifests as irregular cycles, excess hair growth (male pattern), obesity, etc. There is a future risk of developing diabetes and hypertension.

I would advise your sister to consider regular exercises and weight reduction as her BMI (body mass index) is in the overweight range. The medications she has been prescribed are alright.

Ladies with PCOS usually have difficulty in conception, but it is possible to regulate their cycles and bodies with regular exercise and diet modifications. Do not worry about future conception. She will be able to conceive, provided she regularly follows up with the advice of her gynecologist.

Assure her and all the best.

| 
1 out of 1 likes