Q. My teenage sister does not have a period from almost a year. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My younger sister who is 15 years and 5 months had her first period last year and again had her second period a month later. But, after that, she did not have her periods at all. We consulted a gynecologist who suggested an ultrasound. The report reveals a small uterus 53.3 by 19.9 mm. We were then referred to an endocrinologist who ordered a series of tests. She has insulin resistance. Fasting insulin level is 77. Her LH is 2.6. Her FSH is 8.6. The prolactin level is 9.6. She has vitamin D deficiency. Her SGPT and SGOT levels are elevated to 92 and 96 respectively. He has prescribed Evion 400 twice daily for a month and Ovral G once in a day, for ten days and vitamin D once a week for eight weeks. I am very worried. Is the medicine correct? Will she get her periods again? Will she be able to get pregnant after she gets married? Please tell me.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your sister could be having polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). It is a metabolic problem which is quite common these days. This is not a disease per se related to the ovaries but, to the whole metabolism of the body.

This usually manifests as irregular cycles, excess hair growth (male pattern), obesity, etc. and there is a future risk of developing diabetes and hypertension.

I would advise your sister to consider regular exercises and weight reduction as her BMI (body mass index) is in the overweight range. The medications she has been prescribed are alright.

Ladies with PCOS usually have difficulty in conception but, it is possible if they regulate their cycles and their body with regular exercise and diet modifications. Do not worry about future conception. She will definitely be able to concieve, provided she regularly follows up with the advice of her gynecologist.

Assure her and all the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Was this answer helpful?

1 out of 1 likes

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Suffering from PCOD and taking medicines, but still it has not reduced. Can you help ?

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a 29 year old female suffering from PCOD, taking medicines from past 1 year. But still it has not reduced. I was into Metformin and Folic acid. At the same time I have also taken medicines for conception (i.e, clomiphene). Follicar study has been conducted for four times and only ...  Read Full »

PCOS and Weight Management

Article Overview: Weight reduction plays a major role in managing the complications of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Read Article

Dr. Deepali Mohan Pohane
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome is a hormonal disorder in women. Studies and observations have shown that proper weight management has resolved many issues associated with PCOS. PCOS Is Characterized By: Menstrual irregularities. Excess androgen. Ultrasound features of multiple small folli...  Read Article

My pregnant test is negative but I miss my period. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOD, and I am planning to conceive. I am under Macfolate and Metformin tablets for the past seven months. I have regular periods for the past six months. This month, on the 11th day, I missed my period. After two days, when I checked for pregnancy, I got a negative result. Again ...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.