Q. I have one-sided pain in the head, temple, and jaw after a mild concussion. Please help.

Dr. Sandeep V Nair
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

I am a 26-year-old female. My height is 5 feet 4 inches, and my weight is 188 lbs. 15 days back, I fell and have a mild concussion on the top of my head. My brain and cervical spine CT scan results were clear. Now I have a consistent headache since then, ranging from mild to severe, mainly on the left side of the head. I can feel the pain in the temple region, behind the ears, and in the jaw. Currently, I am taking 500 mg to 1000 mg Extra Strength Tylenol, Tramadol, Baclofen, and ice packs all over the region without any reduction in the pain. Pain decreases only with time and comes back. Also, I am taking Nabumetone 1500 mg, Vyvanse 35 mg, Cymbalta 40 mg to 60mg, Propranolol 10 mg, and Lyrica 75 mg.

#

It most likely seems to be a post-traumatic headache. Although the CT scan (computed tomography) was normal, I feel an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) needs to be taken to re-confirm there are no extradural bleed or subdural hematomas that may form after some time. If MRI of the brain is also normal, then it is more likely to be a post-traumatic headache which is more like a migraine and will subside with time. You are probably on such medications for treating the same. Do not worry. As long as there is no weakness in the limbs, slurring of speech, blurred vision, numbness in any part of the body, and no change in sensorium or alertness, there will not be anything serious. Regards.

Thanks for the reply.

The current medications that I am taking are for the treatment of chronic inflammation and nerve pain. I have no issue with speech or vision. Any limb weakness or numbness could also be concerning nerve issues. My only concern is why all my pain (nerve pain included) is one-sided? Please explain.

#

The pain that you are having is one-sided, and so is the pain in a post-traumatic headache, which is more or less like a migraine which is also unilateral. The only way to rule out any structural lesion would be to repeat higher imaging, which has better soft tissue delineation that is an MRI scan of the brain. If the pain is persistent and debilitating, then it is better to repeat the imaging. Regards.

Thanks for the reply.

I understood. I will follow your suggestions.

#

It is my pleasure. I hope you get well soon.

|