Q. I have had multiple concussions. Is it due to growth hormone deficiency?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Nov 08, 2017

I am a 28 year old male and I have been living with a lower quality of life for the past eight to nine years, starting around six to seven months after I had a pretty severe concussion. I had been diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome and saw several neurologists who ran numerous tests and scans but never did anything for me. The problems I have had are brain fogginess, slight memory problems, increased anxiety, lower sex drive, sleep problems, concentration difficulties, slight dizziness and an overall feeling of not feeling 'myself'. I have dealt with these issues for around eight years and pretty much gave up on trying to feel 'normal'. Recently, I read about how TBI can cause pituitary damage leading to growth hormone deficiency which covers several of my problems and has been underdiagnosed in patients who had TBI. I also had a severe ankle break from sliding during a paintball game a couple of years ago, five breaks in my ankle and one of the worst the surgeon had seen. I understand low bone density could also be caused by low GH and could have attributed to the severity of my break. I had also been concussed on one or two other occasions less severe than the one nine years ago. Is low GH something that I could have and should look into screening for?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, I feel that you could have osteoporosis or osteopenia rather than growth hormone deficiency.

You can have your bone DEXA scan done and follow up with your orthopedician if it turns out to be either.

Growth hormone deficiency causes a loss of muscle mass rather than decreased bone mineral density.

Regarding dizziness, it could be benign positional vertigo for which you can see an ENT specialist.

A traumatic brain injury does not mean severe concussion. Both are involving different areas of the brain.

If you are still in doubt, you can have an insulin tolerance test for growth hormone reserve assessment.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

What Causes Vertigo?

Article Overview: This article discusses vertigo, a sensation of spinning, dizziness, unsteadiness, and lightheadedness. Read Article

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Dizziness, unsteadiness, lightheadedness are symptoms expressed by the patient. But all these indicate that the patient is having a problem of balancing. Balancing is the outcome of a reflex mechanism where vestibule of ear, eyes and sensory receptors of joints and muscles send sensory impulses to t...  Read Article

I have multiple small nodules in both the lungs. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I underwent a comprehensive health checkup recently and it revealed multiple small nodules in both my lungs from the high resolution CT scan. Presently, I have sporadic recurring breathlessness during late evenings. Now, I am taking osteopenia medication, calcium and calcinase nasal spra...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now