Q. I have bleeding after intercourse. What would be the cause?

Dr. Sini P

I have sex regularly with my husband. But for the past few days, I have bleeding after intercourse. What would be the cause?

Dr. Sini P

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Before answering your question let me know;

1. What is your age?

2. Are you pregnant?

Because according to age, the causes are different.

In the reproductive age group, the leading cause is any local pathology like polyp, to detect that you need a thorough examination with a gynecologist and a scan.

Thanks.

| 

Thank you doctor.

I am a 25-year-old female, and I got married seven years back. We have recently moved to another country. After marriage, when we had sex, I did not have any issues. After moving to this new place, I got my period and counted from the last day; 15 days later again I got my periods. Later to this, I am undergoing specific problems, such as I get bleeding after I have sex. I have bleeding two times after sex, which lasted for two days (currently, I have bleeding as we had sex the day before yesterday). I am neither pregnant nor did I have these problems before. I was worried and confused as I read something about cervical cancers and their symptoms. My husband says that as we had oral sex (I do not know whether fingering comes under that), there may be infections caused by that. But please clarify as I am afraid that I may have this cervical cancer or any other related disease.

Dr. Sini P

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

So now you are getting post-coital (after sexual intercourse) bleeding in between your regular periods. As I already told, post-coital bleeding is usually due to some local pathology. Do not worry about cervical cancer because this typically occurs after 40 years; it is relatively uncommon at this early age. So in your case, the most common causes are any cervical polyps (not cancer). This usually causes bleeding after sex due to manipulation. It can be detected by gynecological examination and scanning. It has to be removed by avulsion polypectomy and D&C (dilation and curettage) if it is there. Another cause is a cervical ulcer-like condition called cervical erosion that also needs examination and cryocautery (an instrument for destroying tissue by freezing it). Go and consult with a gynecologist; you can do one Pap smear (samples of cells collected from the cervix for testing) to rule out infection. You can get a vaccine called Gardasil (human papillomavirus quadrivalent vaccine) in three doses ( first month, two months later, and then four months later) for cervical cancer.

Thanks.

|