Q. I am bleeding after sex and my vaginal discharge is smelly. What to do?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
Published on Oct 09, 2019

I am 40 years old with three children, and my periods stopped a few months ago. After some time, I got a short period for one time; then it stopped for another three months. I started feeling unwell and thought it was just due to stress. I had some discharge, which was not itchy but had an odor. At first it was clear, then the discharge was creamy with a pink tinge for over a few days. The discharge became light bleeding after intercourse. I then began spotting, which lasted for approximately three weeks. I had intercourse with my teenaged partner and had pain followed by a medium to heavy bleeding, which lasted for over a week. It began to lighten, but I am feeling very unwell, nauseous at times, lethargic, etc. I had sex again, and during intercourse, the bleeding was heavy, accompanied by pain. Since then, I have heavy bleeding with clots. The odor is still there; the pain seems to have subsided, but I am bleeding, and passing clots and my vagina feels painful. Can you give me some advice on what this might be.

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator Lactation Counselor Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Post-coital bleeding, along with vaginal discharge and menstrual abnormalities, must be further investigated. It can be due to uterine causes like a polyp or more likely due to cervical causes like polyp, erosion, LSIL (low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion), etc. You need to get a serum TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), PRL (prolactin) value done along with USG gynae (ultrasound). You also need to get a per speculum examination done along with PAP smear and colposcopy. Check your hemoglobin level to assess the blood loss and need to be compensated if any.

I suggest to take table Tranexamic Acid 500 mg one tablet, three times a day for the bleeding. Please note that the medication is just for the symptomatic relief, and you must get the investigations mentioned above done even if the symptoms disappear for the time being.

Hb,
TSH,
PRL,
USG Gynae,
pap smear and colposcopy.

Cervical erosion,
cervical polyp,
LSIL/HSIL, and
uterine polyp.

According to reports.

Can I Get Pregnant with PCOS?

Article Overview: With the right treatment and a healthy lifestyle, even women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) have high chances of getting pregnant. To know more, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Pari Bansari

PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome) is quite challenging and frustrating. Most women do not seek help until they get menstrual irregularity and have a problem in getting pregnant. The good news is, with the right treatment and healthy lifestyle, women with PCOS have high chances of getting pregnant. ...  Read Article

What causes continuous vaginal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is facing continuous bleeding from vagina since seven days after post pregnancy bleeding. Here is the complete scenario. We blessed with a baby 38 days ago and it was a C-section delivery. 16 days back the bleeding had stopped completely. Everyth...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife is having bleeding per vagina following one month of Cesarean section. This is termed postpartum hemorrhage and often creates an emergency. This could be caused by an infection of C-section wound commonly. But, as per your report (attachment removed to pro...  Read Full

What causes bleeding after sex?

Query: Hi doctor, Last night I had sex with my wife. It was the last day of her periods. She bled light red color with some watery fluid in it. I would like to know, is that from menstruation or virginity defloration? Does she lose her virginity?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For your information, a woman loses virginity on the first day of her intercourse. So, the bleeding is likely to be remaining endometrium of that menstrual flow and can often be seen commonly if sex occurs on last day of bleeding days. For further information consult a...  Read Full