Q. Why do I have pain during intercourse, spotting after, and burning on urination?

Answered by
Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 19, 2021

Hi doctor,

I have pain during intercourse. I have spotting after having burning urine. I have chronic pain and it is getting worse. I am taking birth control pills. I consulted a doctor and they told me that I do not have any STI or STD.



Welcome to

If the infections are ruled out, then chronic pain can occur due to a condition called endometriosis. You can have severe pain during periods. In worse cases, you have pain while passing motion or while having sexual intercourse. Do an ultrasound to rule out endometriotic cysts. Have a physical examination by consulting a gynecologist to look at your cervix to find the cause of post-coital spotting. As there is burning during urination, then it can be due to urinary tract infection. Do a urine culture and sensitivity testing. Drink plenty of water. You can start taking appropriate antibiotics after knowing the results of the sensitivity test.

Investigations to be done:

You need to do ultrasound abdomen and pelvis, urine routine and microscopy, and urine culture and sensitivity.

Differential diagnosis:

You can have UTI (urinary tract infection) or endometriosis.

Treatment plan:

Treatment can be taken after having proper evaluation and diagnosis is reached.

Preventive measures:

Drink plenty of water. Take three to four liters a day.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is causing pain during sex at a particular spot inside vagina?

.. to have Progesterone implant. There may be a slight change in the mucus quality due to these hormones, rendering it thicker, hence less lubricating. There may be a small crack or tear (due to sexual activity) due to inadequate lubrication. In my v...   Read full

I have endometriosis and cysts in both my ovaries. Should I try IVF?

IVF (in vitro fertilization) is the option, as you have infertility due to endometriosis ...   Read full

I feel pain during sex.I tried lubricants.But nothing works.

Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. I have been playing rugby league for 13 years now. I have not broken anything, but I dislocated my elbow three years ago, and I recently noticed my shoulder blade is pushed up. I can feel it is positioned high and c...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.