Q. What treatment can be had for scratch marks in a 4-year-old?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on May 14, 2018

My daughter who is 4 years old had got a scratch mark three months ago. It has left a brown mark. It is a little white in the middle. Is it a scar? Will it go away soon? I have attached few images for your reference.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• She has some postinflammatory pigmentary changes at the site of the trauma, that is hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation. However, there is nothing to worry as this would ultimately disappear.
  • I suggest you use a moderately potent topical steroid cream like Fluticasone propionate 0.05% or Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1% cream twice daily for three to four weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.
  • These need prescription medications and I suggest you talk to your local practitioner regarding the same.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

So this is not a scar? Will it go away for sure and leave no marks? How long do you think it will take to heal?

Dr. Kakkar

#

• Yes, it should improve significantly in about one to three months on regular use of the medication that I suggested. Again, consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.
  • It should go away completely with time.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Usage of LASER in Dermatology and Skin Care

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed about the commonly used lasers in dermatology and also their advantages and disadvantages. Read Article

The word LASER is an acronym for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation. Lasers have been widely used in dermatology and general medicine for the last 30 years. No single laser system is capable of treating all cutaneous lesions and search for the perfect system still persists. The...  Read Article

Developed with nodular acne on my left cheek. Is this prescription effective?

Query: Hello, I am a male, 24 years old. I have recently developed with nodular acne on my left cheek and visited a dermatologist. The doctor has prescribed the following for 15 days for pimples: Rejuglow face wash gel. Nilac ointment (twice daily). Minoz 50 tablet (once daily). He has asked me to come af...  Read Full »

What can be done to clear acne marks due to pimples during periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old and I have a combination skin type. I have minimal breakouts basically during my periods but these pimples leave a lot of marks. Please suggest me a tablet or a treatment on how to remove these marks. Also, I do not want to take any medicines containing steroids or ap...  Read Full »