Q. I have swelling and numbness after mandible surgery. How long will it take to subside?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I was having a bilateral fracture of mandible at angles on both sides and have done the surgery. After six weeks, there is slight swelling on one side and also numbness in the lower lip and a small portion of skin below the lower lip. How much time will it take to subside the swelling and numbness completely?

#

• The post-operative swelling and numbness after mandible fracture surgery are common.
  • The swelling is mild as you have mentioned. Then, it should resolve in another one to two weeks as the tissues heal.
  • The numbness is because the mental nerve, which runs through the mandible is hurt at some point during surgery. It can last from a few days to even three months.
  • In most of the cases, the numbness will fade away automatically when the nerve regeneration takes place. You will feel pricking kind of electric shock at times during the day as a sign of nerve healing.
  • But, if the numbness lasts for more than three months, then it should be given attention.
  • Meanwhile, I suggest tablet Nurokind 500 (Mecobalamin) once daily after meals for 30 days, which helps in nerve repair. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

For further information consult a dentist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|