Postoperative Complication

How do Adderall and anesthesia interact?

Query: Hi doctor,My female friend, who is 28 years old, is on Adderall for ADD and scheduled for hip surgery. Should she stop Adderall before surgery? Is there adverse interaction with anesthesia and Adderall. She had a long-term (eight months) adverse reaction to general anesthesia after surgery on the ot...  Read Full »

Dr. Amandeep Singh Sachdeva

Anesthesiologist, Pain Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your friend need not stop Adderall (combination of Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine) to get anesthesia. Secondly, the only side effect that may happen is resistant hypotension due to catecholamines depletion. That can be taken care of by the anesthetist. Postoperative ...  Read Full »

How long can I expect the shoulder pain to last after rotator cuff repair?

Query: Hello doctor, I had arthroscopy surgery of my right shoulder approximately five weeks ago. The surgeon repaired a rotator cuff tear, labrum tear, released one bicep tendon and did not reattach it, and subacromial decompression. The pain is still intense, and I am taking Oxycodone. I just started pas...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, arthroscopic shoulder rotator cuff repairs can be quite a difficult task post-operatively especially, after the physiotherapy is started. The pain and stiffness usually get better after a month of starting physiotherapy. So, rest after surgery combined with physiot...  Read Full »

My friend got vocal cord problem after neck surgery. Which doctor should we follow now?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend is 30 years old. She had a neck schwannoma tumor, and that was completely removed by surgery. Post surgery, my friend could not eat or drink anything. Her voice was hoarse as well. ENT doctor followed up her and noted that her right vocal chord was paralyzed, but not the lef...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.The issue here is that you have not been explained preoperatively well about the possible differentials of that tumor in the neck and I would not say that your doctors are at fault because the situation and the case scenario was like that.Preoperatively, from all the inves...  Read Full »

Is it normal to vomit after three days of an appendix surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister went through appendix surgery three days back. She vomited yesterday when we were taking her home and then we took her back to the hospital. The doctor gave an injection for vomiting and discharged her. Today, she vomited again at 7 pm. We need your expert advice if this is no...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If it is just vomiting without fever or pain in the abdomen and otherwise passing flatus and stools and able to eat well rest of the day, then it should be fine. Try to walk her around. If any of the above symptoms, any distress or discharge from the surgical wound i...  Read Full »

Why is there clicking sound post pectoral implant surgery with liposuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I am about four days postoperative from pectoral implant surgery with liposuction. Recovery is going well. No fever or unusual swelling, etc. I have what I feel to be a normal pain. My only concern is that sometimes (not always and not with same movements) I hear what sounds like a gu...  Read Full »

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

Cosmetologist, General Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What your surgeon has said is true. Few days postoperative may be until two weeks there will be slight crackling sound near and around the implant site. It is normal. The space created for the implant during surgery is what makes that sound. Nothing much to worry abo...  Read Full »

As I had colostomy, should I be concerned about the rectal leakage now?

Query: Hi doctor, Before three years, I had a colostomy. After that, I never had any problem. Last week, some feces leaked out of my rectum. I did not think much of it as I know that sometimes there could be a mucus discharge, although I never had it. Last night it happened again, but it was more and had ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I would like to know the exact reason for making the colostomy. I am assuming it was because of transverse myelitis. Still if possible kindly mention the exact type of colostomy done. It would be documented in your hospital records. Else send a good picture...  Read Full »

How to correct post-frenectomy upper lip sagging?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a gap in between my incisors. When I approached a dentist, he advised to go with frenectomy and then braces treatment. I had upper lip frenectomy three days back. Now, when I smile, I can notice the middle portion of my upper lip is sagging a little, and my incisors are not comple...  Read Full »

Dr. Paras Angrish

Dentist, Pedodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It happens after frenectomy. A little sagging is normal as frenum pulls the lip upwards. The second thing is after minor surgery one has swelling and body reacts towards the trauma that is created by instrument or laser. To get rid of the problem you can put gels with as...  Read Full »

I have swelling and numbness after mandible surgery. How long will it take to subside?

Query: Hi doctor, I was having a bilateral fracture of mandible at angles on both sides and have done the surgery. After six weeks, there is slight swelling on one side and also numbness in the lower lip and a small portion of skin below the lower lip. How much time will it take to subside the swelling an...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The post-operative swelling and numbness after mandible fracture surgery are common. The swelling is mild as you have mentioned. Then, it should resolve in another one to two weeks as the tissues heal. The numbness is because the mental nerve, which runs through the mandi...  Read Full »

Considering my age and medical conditions, is there a risk in gastric bypass surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am advised to have a gastric bypass. I am worried about the anesthesia and surgical risk because I am a 79 year old married male. I am obese with 265 lbs weight and 5'11" height. I am a diabetic, but it is under control with insulin. I also have emphysema. I use Spiriva daily and wear a...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your query, you are definitely having a high risk of postoperative complications after surgery. You cannot eliminate your comorbidities, but can only optimize them. Do not stop any medication on your own as it may cause unnecessary delay in the procedure. Please...  Read Full »