Q. Is it serious to have mild cerebral edema, with facial fractures and post-nasal drip after accident?

Answered by
Dr. Gerry Mike Palisoc
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2019

Hello doctor,

A 23-year-old male patient hit with bike accident, fell on back side of head, CT scan reports reveals mild cerebral edema, with some facial fractures, currently patient is having blood clots discharge as post-nasal drip, and not associated with headache, dizziness, seizures, fainting, etc. Please let me know the cause for blood clots discharge as post-nasal drip and is mild cerebral edema complicated?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read your concern. You might be worried of the cerebral edema if this will cause any harm. A repeat 48 hour CT scan if with any signs of wakefulness deterioration is warranted if that ever happens. The blood clots is a sequelae of the trauma to the face. Most commonly this is part of the superficial veins near the nostrils called keisselbachs plexus. This will heal. Give it 2 to 3 days until it gets crusted by itself with the help of the antibiotics to lessen chances of infection.

If the CT scan is normal other than the mild cerebral edema is seen, then no further medical and neurosurgical procedure is needed. The zygoma fracture and orbital fracture is also not worrisome if does not cause any deformity (like a protruding bone), and does not need any procedure for it if it does not obstruct your visual field or puncture the globe of the eye. I agree with antibiotics and saline spray three times a day. It would also help taking some Ibuprofen to lessen the inflammation and swelling, if taken every eight hours.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is there a possibility to perform MRI of brain when on ventilator?

.. the CT scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and clinical assessment. My findings are: On CT scan, I noticed that your mother had 5x4 cm infarct (stroke). The reason for her to fall unconscious might be because of nonconvuls...   Read full

Suffering from sore throat with post nasal drip and lymph node enlargement. What is causing it?

.. listed by you point to chronic tonsillopharyngitis mostly secondary to the post nasal drip. Delving into the details, the constant post nasal drip is causing inflammation of the posterior pharyngeal wall and the tonsils in the throat. When these g...   Read full

How to cure chronic post-nasal drip and change of voice?

Also, take steam inhalation and avoid high pitch singing while you have a sore throat ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Why Do Some COVID-19 Patients Test Negative?
COVID-19 has resulted in a pandemic and has caused serious health crises worldwide. When we develop the symptoms of COV...  Read more»
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Reliving the Trauma
PTSD is a mental health condition where the person who undergoes an extremely stressful condition, develops disturbing t...  Read more»
Remdesivir - Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Drug Warnings, and Precautions
Remdesivir is a broad-spectrum antiviral medication. It is the only medicine approved for COVID-19 treatment. To know ab...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.