Q. Is it serious to have mild cerebral edema, with facial fractures and post-nasal drip after accident?

Dr. Gerry Mike Palisoc

A 23-year-old male patient hit with bike accident, fell on back side of head, CT scan reports reveals mild cerebral edema, with some facial fractures, currently patient is having blood clots discharge as post-nasal drip, and not associated with headache, dizziness, seizures, fainting, etc. Please let me know the cause for blood clots discharge as post-nasal drip and is mild cerebral edema complicated?

#

I have read your concern. You might be worried of the cerebral edema if this will cause any harm. A repeat 48 hour CT scan if with any signs of wakefulness deterioration is warranted if that ever happens. The blood clots is a sequelae of the trauma to the face. Most commonly this is part of the superficial veins near the nostrils called keisselbachs plexus. This will heal. Give it 2 to 3 days until it gets crusted by itself with the help of the antibiotics to lessen chances of infection.

If the CT scan is normal other than the mild cerebral edema is seen, then no further medical and neurosurgical procedure is needed. The zygoma fracture and orbital fracture is also not worrisome if does not cause any deformity (like a protruding bone), and does not need any procedure for it if it does not obstruct your visual field or puncture the globe of the eye. I agree with antibiotics and saline spray three times a day. It would also help taking some Ibuprofen to lessen the inflammation and swelling, if taken every eight hours.

|