Q. Kindly advise on the dose of Levothyroxine as I had a severe reaction for Nature-Thyroid?

Dr. Deep Dutta

I was switched to Nature-Throid. Within nine days, I had a severe reaction. It caused panic attacks at night, waking up in sweat and insomnia. Then, my naturopath took me off and said to go back to my Levothyroxine. I take 88 mcg daily and 25 mcg once a week. I just realized that I forgot to take the 25 mcg dose since stopping the Nature-Throid. I am just now stabilizing my sleep again and I am still waking up once at night panicking and overheated. I have next appointment after a week. Should I just wait until I see her or should I take missed once weekly 25 mcg dose?

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• It is good that you are off nature thyroid. Its responses are unpredictable and reactions are common.
  • Levothyroxine is the best and the safest. It is good that you are back on Levothyroxine. I think you should just continue 88 mcg of Levothyroxine daily in the empty stomach in the morning at least 45 minutes before any food or tea, as you have been doing I am sure.
  • Let us not start 25 mcg. Your symptoms with Nature-Thyroid were likely due to overdosage. Hence, let us not be too fast.
  • Kindly get your thyroid function checked after four weeks and review accordingly.

Revert after four weeks to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

Is there a permanent cure for hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is having hypothyroidism. She is having the TSH level of 13 miu/l. We had consulted a doctor and after few tests, the doctor suggested to take Thyroxine 100 mcg everyday morning on empty stomach. How long she needs to take the medication? Is there a permanent cure for this?  Read Full »

I missed giving the pulse polio drops. Is it mandatory to get it done?

Query: Hello doctor, I missed the pulse polio drops campaign for my daughter 3 years old. I really wanted to know, is there any difference between these drops and the ones we give through the regular immunization schedule. We spend thousands to get the immunizations done. Considering this, does it become ...  Read Full »

I would like to know about Cromotop inhaler. Please explain.

Query: Hi doctor, My son, who is 15 years old, suffers from seasonal allergy during spring and autumn months. He has to take Levolin inhaler several times a day and Budecort inhaler as well during the period. Sometimes, he also has to take Montair tablets. I heard about inhaler Cromotop 2 mg, which preve...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now