Q. Kindly advise on the dose of Levothyroxine as I had a severe reaction for Nature-Thyroid?

Dr. Deep Dutta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

I was switched to Nature-Throid. Within nine days, I had a severe reaction. It caused panic attacks at night, waking up in sweat and insomnia. Then, my naturopath took me off and said to go back to my Levothyroxine. I take 88 mcg daily and 25 mcg once a week. I just realized that I forgot to take the 25 mcg dose since stopping the Nature-Throid. I am just now stabilizing my sleep again and I am still waking up once at night panicking and overheated. I have next appointment after a week. Should I just wait until I see her or should I take missed once weekly 25 mcg dose?

#

• It is good that you are off nature thyroid. Its responses are unpredictable and reactions are common.
  • Levothyroxine is the best and the safest. It is good that you are back on Levothyroxine. I think you should just continue 88 mcg of Levothyroxine daily in the empty stomach in the morning at least 45 minutes before any food or tea, as you have been doing I am sure.
  • Let us not start 25 mcg. Your symptoms with Nature-Thyroid were likely due to overdosage. Hence, let us not be too fast.
  • Kindly get your thyroid function checked after four weeks and review accordingly.

Revert after four weeks to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|