Q. I have swollen and discolored penis. What is it?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Mar 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been frequently dealing with a red, swollen meatus as well as discoloration on the penis glans. It first began after unprotected oral and vaginal sex with a one night stand three years ago. About two weeks after the original encounter, I began experiencing a burning sensation while urinating along with itching of the penis glans, red swollen meatus and discharge. Believing it was chlamydia, I immediately went in for a full panel STD test. However, the results came back negative. Baffled, I began applying Neosporin to the infected area hoping for the best. While the symptoms remained the same, about two weeks after having the STD test I contracted strep throat and was given the antibiotic Azithromycin. Not only did this clear up the strep but also stopped the itching, burning and discharge. However, my meatus remained red and swollen. I went to my local clinic and the nurse who examined me said everything looked fine. Relieved, I went about my normal life until later noticing a small white spot on my penis glans. The spot was not irritating or painful. It was not raised at all just discolored. About two weeks later another similar spot appeared. I tried to just not think about it and hoped my symptoms would go away on its own. However, they did not go away and pretty soon I noticed that the entire underside of the head of my penis had turned a pale grayish color. I then went and saw urologist who ran multiple urinalyses and did blood work. All test came back negative and he told me I was fine and to just stop thinking about it. I tried my best. Now that brings me here, three years down the road from when the symptoms first arose. My meatus is still red and puffy and my glans still the same sickly gray color. There is no pain or irritation that still persists, but the red meatus and discolored glans are ruining my confidence. I have had sex with another partner about two years ago and after three weeks of the encounter she was treated for UTI. What could this possibly be with all the tests coming back negative?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have reviewed all the attached photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I can appreciate slight color change of the glans. It can be pre-vitiligo, but it is too early to be absolutely sure.

I would recommend you to keep a watch on it whether the color changes to more white or it spreads further.

Presently, I do not think it needs any treatment, but you keep it under observation.

As far as meatus is concerned, it is slightly red. Since, there are no symptoms and all your tests are negative, you do not have to worry.

You do not have to be anxious as it is not looking like any sexually transmitted disease.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Surgical Management of Vitiligo

Article Overview: Surgery for vitiligo is a good option for a patient who is not responding to medical treatment. But, patients are not aware of this option. This article discusses about surgical management of vitiligo. Read Article

Vitiligo, also known as white patch disease, is characterized by amelanotic or hypomelanotic patches anywhere over the body. Till date, there is no definite etiology known for vitiligo. This skin disease has great social consequences in our modern society in spite of it being non-contagious in natur...  Read Article