Q. I am 15-years-old and scared that I have been through precocious puberty. Have I finished puberty?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am a 15-year-old boy. I have questions regarding my hormones and my puberty. I am scared that I feel as if I may have been through precocious puberty as I have had a beard since I was a late 13 years old. Will I be able to grow still taller, and is there any way my hormones can be regulated and have I finished puberty?

Do you have a question on Precocious Puberty or Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

MBBS., MD(ENDOCRINOLOGY & METABOLISM
Endocrinology

Precocious puberty can be called when the onset of puberty is eight years or below for girls and nine years or below for boys. The beginning is not synonymous with a growing beard, which is a more advanced stage. Staging is usually done with a scoring system called tanner staging which considers pubic hair, testicular and penile development. You should note the first changes in these aspects.

Females can grow until the mean age of 16, males for a period three to five years longer. The ethnic, familial, nutritional background is important for final height and pubertal development. As long bones, especially those of the lower limbs, are important to give the height, radiograph of ossification centers like those around knees can be taken. If all the centers are ossified, you are not likely to grow taller. As you are turning 16, it would not be appropriate to suppress your puberty which could be done at a younger age by GnRH analogs or a few alternative agents. I hope you got guidance.

I am feeling empty and emotionally drained. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, I am feeling empty and emotionally drained. I do not feel like living anymore. I am tired of everyone blaming me every now and then for everything for no big reason. Sometimes I do not understand my fault. I feel suicidal many times.  Read Full >>
Dr. Padmesh Jain
Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Such feelings at this stage of life when we enter our teens is quite common and there are multiple reasons for it, few being changes in our body especially hormonal changes associated with puberty. You are not alone with such feelings of loneliness and suicidal tendencies...  Read Full

I have gained weight and I have high cortisol level. Do I have Cushing's syndrome?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with hypothyroidism and polycystic ovaries. Over last three years, I have gained 15 kg of weight. I am taking T4 150 mg, Glucophage 850 mg and Yasmin. I think I have Cushing's syndrome. My cortisol level in blood is 34 in the morning but in 24 hour urine test it is in norma...  Read Full >>
Dr. Hariharan V
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There may be three possibilities. Either your polycystic ovarian syndrome and hypothyroidism are two separate disorders or it may be a pituitary or autoimmune disease which affects many organs. When did you last check your thyroid levels? If it is too low, then you...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now